Dual-chambered beer-glasses for mixing the perfect black-and-tan

from Half and half - Wikipedia

In Canada and the United States, capitalized Half & Half is Guinness draught and Bass Pale Ale. A lower case half & half is a generic Guinness draught.

I had no idea i a drink could change based on capitalization. Are there some weird bars around here that only take written orders? If I use Serifs do i get different variants?

1 Like

if the black part is Guinness, sacrilegeā€¦

1 Like

To truly maximize the effect one must brush oneā€™s teeth immediately before imbibing.

2 Likes

What is ā€˜generic Guinnessā€™? Murphyā€™s?

1 Like

I know, itā€™s fucking horrible :stuck_out_tongue:

Chindogu.

But it is no longer really a black and tan, is it? It is just two beer glued together.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an Irish Car Bomb.

Similar, in that theyā€™re both things not to order by those names when youā€™re around the Irish.

An American couple walks into a pub in Ireland and asks the bartender for two Irish carbombs. The bartender says they donā€™t serve those as they are offensive in Ireland. Seeing how embarrassed the American couple are, he feels bad he tells them he will give them two shots on the house for not knowing any better. The bartender makes two flaming shots and puts them in front of the couple.

The couple says ā€œThanks, what are they?ā€

The bartender replies with ā€œOh, thatā€™s our best drink, we call it the Twin Towers."

4 Likes

Everyone knows you order in caps by SHOUTING.

1 Like

Yeah, isnā€™t the whole point of a black&tan all the farting around with gravities and layers and such?
Itā€™s a Stupid Bartenderā€™s Trick; this just seems pointless and point-missing.
It certainly not because mixing the two beers is some kind of ultimate taste experience.

5 Likes

I love layering drinks. It always seems better in a social setting, making drinks for others. That said, Click this for the complete list of offensive Black & Tan variations. As for jigs, I use a spoon and patience.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a bar tender in Boston punch someone in the face for ordering a black and tan in his bar. Fortunately, it couldnā€™t have happened to a more deserving person.

1 Like

A friend of mineā€™s comment was ā€œThe Black and Tans killed my grandfather.ā€ Heā€™s originally from Cork.

Half and Half, I believe.

The reason you donā€™t call it a black and tan is that is a reference to a brutal militia employed by the British to subjugate the Irish (Catholic) masses. They attacked civilians, shot people ā€˜revoltingā€™ against British rule and were generally horrible, horrible people. Imagine calling a drink in America a ā€˜Confederate Cocktailā€™ (not the greatest analogy) and pretending it had no cultural baggage.

For more referenceā€¦http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

Interestingly, all the ā€œdonā€™t use these drink names around Irish peopleā€ commentary doesnā€™t really hold up in my experience with my (Irish) wife or any of her friends. Actually, thatā€™s not true. I can think of maybe one of her friends that might get offended about such things, my wife refers to him as ā€œa real RA-headā€. I imagine her parentsā€™ generation (my wife and her friends are all in their mid-30ā€™s) might be a bit more prickly about it though.

1 Like

Back in the U.S., thatā€™s a boilermaker. Weird.

I believe the difference is that a boilermaker is sequential, whereas the Guiness+shot of whiskey is supplemental.

1 Like

Ahhh, Iā€™ve seen it both ways, as well as dropping the shot glass of whiskey into the beer and chugging a la an Irish car bomb.

And that oneā€™s probably not one to order in Ireland now that I think about it.

Ayup. I believe someone else was asking the question