Dude who plays flame-throwing guitar in Mad Max is a very cool dude

Or the simple fact that they are the post apocalyptic equal to fife and drum corp for marching armies. It is as simple as that.

Also an extravagant use of labor, by modern standards.

Look at how Immortan Joe controls the water to the peons, he isn’t big on efficiency and thought out processes.

2 Likes

After having seen the film twice, 3d and 2d, I still didn’t notice if all of the music was diagetic.

For sure the music in all of the action scenes emanate from the guy with flame thrower guitar, in-film, but is there any more? Anyone remember?

It just grips me so totally from start to finish, I’ve had a hard time trying to analyse it from some kind of impossible, distanced position.

1 Like

IIRC all but one scene featuring the War Drum/Doof Warrior car they are the source of the soundtrack (or at least the score is doing a good job masking it)

There was one shot that the drums were clearly off and it bugged the crap out of me.

5 Likes

It’s important, because you can drum or trumpet orders farther than you can shout them, unless you’re Lord Humungous, and you can keep units in step when in close order, unless you’re in open order or… wait…

Even Lord Humongous needed a PA on his more hoarse days. I suspect, as the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla, that he would have envied Immortan Joe’s solution.

5 Likes

Yes!

The Road Warrior was full of hot pink mohawks and whatnot.

I never really liked the Thunderdome iteration, but it fits in better now for me having seen Fury Road.

2 Likes

It really was pure fucking joy almost for the full length of the feature. One big car chase and still it never got boring. The guitar and drum truck contributed a lot to that enjoyment.

1 Like

Do you need a hug little fella?

There’s a big difference between rich 35mm color and digital color manipulation and some people like me don’t care for over done color grading effect. It’s glaring, overdone, and removes me from the fantasy of the story. The previous films shot on film have great color. But yeah, I guess if I have an opinion different from yours then I must be a hater.

Who was Big Evil Dude supposed to look like? I spent the whole movie trying to work out who he reminded me of. Maybe Beetlejuice?

Well, it’s the guy who played Toecutter in the first movie:

Kinda reminds me of Bane.

2 Likes

Do I need a hug? Nah I am going to Valhalla and live again, no hug needed for me.

I might suggest you check out this article as it may ease your hate of color grading.
http://www.codexdigital.com/news/cinematographer%20john%20seale%20captures%20mad%20max%20-%20fury%20road

That cracked article you linked is nothing but millenial hipster whining and outside of the color grading debate none of those points can apply to Fury Road. I will admit that color grading does tend to get over used (blame 3D for that, the dimmer view the glasses require demands an over compensation elsewhere) but for a film like Fury Road where this is a different world than the one we are used to the visuals should be drastically different.

Miller and his crew delivered a visual masterpiece. If a little thing like color grading is going to bring you out of it, then you have deeper problems. Looking at the stylistic choices Miller applied to all of the Max films, I have no doubt had he the tools we have today, Mad Max 2 would have looked the same.

1 Like

I always thought it was this world after society has broken down. Did the sun suddenly change color? Is the atmosphere significantly different? Does light work differently?

Look, I get it. You like the movie. That’s great and all. For me, the un-needed effect was a distraction and a crutch too many people use these days. Maybe that means I have some deep problems I need to resolve so I can enjoy it as much as you do. Or, maybe I have my own sensibilities and opinions on things. Why you feel the need to correct me for my opinion is beyond me but maybe that’s part of my deep problems as well. I mean, it’s not like you are in any way connected to the film or have any skin in the game. You are just a fan (fanatic). Your opinion is your opinion and I suppose anyone who thinks differently must be told how wrong they are. Or, maybe you’re just a hater that’s gonna to hate no matter what.

This is a post apocalyptic world full of mutants and humanity struggling to survive. Perhaps the atmosphere is messed up.

I have in no way ever tried to correct you opinion. Pointing out it may be short sighted and biased by your own jaded view maybe, but never correct it. I merely offered you some more information to digest.

Good try at attempting to insult me as a “fan” You might want to work on your insults a bit more if that is your goal. And honestly, how do you know I don’t have any skin in the game? I could very well work for the studio, done post on the film or could even be George himself! Regardless of who I am, I personally feel the world could use a lot less hate spewed out by armchair quarterbacks who feel they know everything and want to express the superiority over others. Am I a hater? Not in the least. Not over internet comments at least. I save my hate for religious zealots, child rapists and those who talk at the cinemas.

1 Like

Maybe though every article has said it was a practical effect (triggered by the whammy bar).

Nah. You’re a hater for other reasons but, hey, you and four other reviewers can’t be wrong in a world that overwhelmingly loves this movie (I did!).

++! FTW!

1 Like

Oh, I know. “Augmented,” I said. And maybe only color-corrected, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the flames were added to a bit.

Apparently there is CG all over the place but in more subtle ways (like the spinning of the wheels on the vehicles at times when they weren’t actually moving, etc).