Dumbest Line From A Song?

Hmmm. Short passage seems fine. We’ve had a couple already.

1 Like

Another example. (This is NOT my entry).

And puts her hands in her back pockets Bette Davis style
– Bob Dylan, Desolation Row

“Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball”
-Oasis, Champagne Supernova

Presented for your approval:

As we followed in the dance
Between the parted pages and were pressed
In love’s hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants

MacArthur’s Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I’ll never have that recipe again
Oh no!
– Jimmy Webb, MacArthur Park

In the final tally, I submit that my score should be adjusted as follows;

1. Plus one :heart: for being sung by Dumbledore.
  2. Plus one :heart: for pronouncing “striped” as two syllables.
  3. Plus two :heart: for peaking at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 (the Dumbledore version) and #1 in the Donna Summers cover.
  4. Plus three :heart: for having a Weird Al claymation parody.

“The heat was hot.”

America, A Horse With No Name

I accidentally clicked like on that!

Take your like this way instead!

2 Likes

Thank you. Don’t forget to subscribe.

3 Likes

We were working early this morning listening to 70s on 7 on SiriusXM when this song came on, every time I here it I think what a dumb song and now I see this topic so here you go.

Whoa, the seed inside ya, baby, do you feel it growin’?
You could have swept it from your life
But you wouldn’t do it, no, you wouldn’t do it…

Having My Baby - Paul Anka

This is incredibly silly and how fried chicken ended up as the last line of One Vision.

I love back story outtakes and am so thankful someone thought to record this stuff and release it. This is silly stuff.

Some day I’ll make a tshirt but I will be the only person that gets it.

One Dump One Turd Two Tits John Deacon

It is taking all my willpower to not click “like” (yet) on all these awful examples.

16 Likes
  1. additional adjustment for being referenced by Brak in one of his songs,
4 Likes

Out of context, it’s pretty dumb. Taken as a whole verse, it makes perfect sense:

Coast-to-coast, L.A. to Chicago: Western male
Across the North and South, to Key Largo: love for sale

1 Like

For such a successful rapper and producer, he has some really dumb lyrics.

One that immediately comes to mind is, “gap teeth in your mouth so my dick’s gots to fit, with my nuts on your tonsils” from “Fuck Wit Dre Day (and Everybody’s Celebratin’)”. It’s supposed to be a diss toward 2 Live Crew’s Luke Campbell’s dentistry, but anatomically it doesn’t make any sense and ends up more as a self-diss as if to brag about a toothpick size penis and odd testicles.

“Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I’m slippin’” from “Nothing But a G Thang” is a head scratcher because, well, no shit, right?

“Execution style murder, haven’t you ever heard of a killer? (Bomb explosion sound.) I drop bombs like Hiroshima.” from “High Power”. While it’s not Dre rapping, it’s on his The Chronic album. I typically hate it when rappers rhyme a word with itself*, this doesn’t even fucking rhyme at all!

ETA
* Lil’ Wayne’s “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy” has this gem: “I’m in my zone, my form is so rare, man. If there’s a throne, you looking at the chairman. How you want it? Show me my opponent. Show me my opponent.”

Rhyme man with chairman? Kinda lazy, but then literally rhyming the same verse with itself (and this is not a chorus)? Cmon Mr. Carter. You can do better than that.

ETA 2: Or Kid Rock’s genius on display: “We were trying different things/We were smoking funny things” from “All Summer Long”.

Don’t forget, after mine you only have two more choices.

1 Like

There’s a short “making of” documentary on One Vision that’s well worth a watch:

I love this kind of stuff and watching the sausage get made.

But yeah, One Vision has all kinds of silt and cringeworthy lyrics. Much like “Imagine” with a little recontextualizing (as Laibach so masterfully did), it becomes something really sinister.

2 Likes

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, here’s a really stupid lyric to ponder for a minute:

“Uno, dos, tres, catorce!” — U2, “Vertigo”

(1, 2, 3, 14)

1 Like

So feckin’ hard to not hit the like button.

This is hardly a game, Les. It’s torture to click and then suddenly have to unclick when you suddenly remember the rules.

This is squid-game for pacifists, you torturer!

(Is that how you spell torturer? Just asking 'cos it looks like a weird word).

ETA - for clarity’s sake - the first line is for @ficuswhisperer . The rest of the rant is for @anon33932455

10 Likes

Not dumb, I guess, so much as a bad non-rhyme that takes me completely out of a song that I otherwise very much enjoy

“They said you were a dancer
Said you starred in a movie
That was all about dancing”

:grimacing:

I keep your picture
Upon the wall
It hides a nasty stain that’s lying there

I’m not in love, by 10cc

If discussing thermodynamics, that line would be acceptable in a suitable context. (Dewey Bunnell: Uh… yes… sure… that’s what I meant.)

4 Likes

Zip your lips like a padlock
And meet me in the back with the Jack at the jukebox

Ke$ha – Blah Blah Blah

1 Like