Dune fandom praised

Maybe the dogs are the real rulers of the universe.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Pugs are the official court dog of the Netherlands royalty, similar to Queen Elizabeth 2’s Welsh Corgi’s. Sofia Coppola had Marie Antoinette’s pug ‘Mopsy’ shown as being confiscated when she joined the French court, because the dog was an emblem of the Netherlands - FOREIGNERS!

Is Lynch trying to tie the House Atreides to Dutch royalty? Maybe, or maybe it’s just an annoying inbred lapdog as a symbol of aristocratic decadence.

5 Likes

Harsh, dude, harsh…

sad-pug1

7 Likes

Oh, yeah? Find something - ANYTHING - to praise in this pic:

2 Likes

Among the many Dune fans I know (and it seems there’s a ton), there seem to be two schools of thought with a deep unbreachable schism between them:
• People who’ve read Dune and think the Lynch movie is a worthless piece of garbage that desecrates the depth and epic storytelling of the Herbert books
• People who haven’t read Dune and think the Lynch movie is a weird, goofy, very stylish and campy sci-fi film that’s fun to watch, full of scenery-chewing actors and gorgeous production design, even if it makes zero sense much of the time.

6 Likes

I’ve read the Dune series when I was quite younger, but if I hadn’t read it before seeing the movie, the movie would have made no sense to me. When I’ve seen the movie with family, I get a ton of questions. “what’s that about? What is a Gom Jabbar? How does spice connect to folding space? WTF are those things?”, etc. etc.

4 Likes

The vaga ia nice

I mean, the BAG is nice…

1 Like

Fun fact: the movie does such a bad job (as in, not even bothering) of explaining its own universe that they supplied viewers with a glossary when it premiered.

9 Likes

The garage door in the background seems to have a fresh coat of paint…

3 Likes

I never get that schism. I love the book, and fucking love the movie. The 4 hr Smithee version is a goddamn treasure! It’s weird as hell, but not self-indulgent, it clearly loves the source material, but it isn’t afraid to throw in other ideas, it’s great!

The subsequent books quickly fall victim to the problem of exponential stakes (this thing is a thousand times bigger than anything that’s come before it…now this next thing is a million times bigger than that…now multiply that by a billion!) but the bones of the stories stand up pretty well.

And the theater manager gave me the keys to his Porsche and said “it’s yours now, kid.” That theater manager’s name? Albert Einstein.

10 Likes

Wait… when was Ringo Starr emperor of the Roman empire?

6 Likes

When Pete Best was playing drums…

4 Likes

Makes sense!

5 Likes

7 Likes

It looked like the Corrino dogs and Atreides dogs were of the same type, as if it was the preferred dog of the imperials; a dog one could carry into battle! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe the dogs are the real rulers of the universe.

This was the theory of my friends and I, upon rewatching the film at home. The dogs are everywhere in the places of power, and of course Gurney has to save the pug.

I hated the film upon first seeing it for its differences from the book (the part that stood out the most to me was the distortion of the weirding way, if I recall correctly). With the passage of time and the development of my opinion that any adaptation has to be taken as its own thing, I grew to enjoy it much more.

3 Likes

I think the dogs are different. The dogs of House of Corrino, as we can see in the navigator’s scene, are a pack of bulldogs and Benji.

6 Likes

Got it. (Now waiting for BB to split off dog-talk into its own thread!!)

2 Likes

Same here. For myself, I can’t say that I really like it even now. It’s enjoyable and entertaining on its own merits, though. The ‘problem’ with the book was that it was not 100% Hollywood ready.No real heart-racing moments or (more important of all) have a big finish. Lynch and writers did what they had to do for the big screen. Even Herbert accepted that.

2 Likes