Dustin Hoffman is the perfect car pitchman in this funny 1966 VW commercial

Originally published at: Dustin Hoffman is the perfect car pitchman in this funny 1966 VW commercial | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I remember that tag line.

3 Likes

My grandma who lived in Birmingham, Alabama had a Fastback. She was very good at climbing steep roads there. What a fun car.

7 Likes

An electric clock???

5 Likes

I was gonna say, for a commercial emphasizing how big the car is, it’s odd to use an actor known for (among other things) not being very tall. But if it’s from before people did know that, then it makes sense.

5 Likes

VW fastback = good.

Yellow cab = bad.

Duly noted.

7 Likes

We had a Squareback growing up. I loved that car. Perfect to pull in backwards for drive-in movies. We’d fall asleep at the start of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and wake up back at home. I would love to own a Squareback, or even one of the Fastbacks.

8 Likes

That’s beautiful.
:+1:t3:

4 Likes

Ah those innocent days before Volkswagen sold 11 million cars with software deliberately designed to deceive authorities about their emissions. Laugh about it, shout about it, when you’ve got to choose…
every way you look at this, you lose.

3 Likes

Dirty diesel also killed propane cars. VW’s ‘clean diesel campaign’ started about the time that many people were starting to seriously look at propane or natural gas to power cars. With this supposed new technology of ‘clean diesel’ the few endeavors to roll out propane/natural gas were dropped.
Getting people used to actually using a gas would have helped to transition the population to using hydrogen.

Yes. Wasn’t louder than the motor, though.

1 Like

You are Hank Hill, and I claim my £5!

You provide the car and…

They have done several VWs

1 Like

Wait! It’s got wall-to-wall carpeting, too. :wink:

1 Like

Picture me unconvinced that propane somehow leads to hydrogen. Propane is stored as a room temperature liquid. A few PSI (provided by the propane evaporating in that tank) are all it takes for an equilibrium between the liquid and the gas within the tank. So a propane tank contains dense liquid propane but once some of the gas is let off, more of the liquid evaporates to keep the pressure up. This is stable for long term storage, simple so there is no need for a carburetor, fuel injectors, or a gas generator like in a Coleman stove. It is also relatively low pressure, unlike when you have to store a significant amount of gas in a tank. Its simplicity and safety are why it is so popular for many applications, despite the relative expense per calorie. Almost none of that is true for natural gas or hydrogen.

Good thing they didn’t ask him to play a tomato:

3 Likes

I had an old squareback for my first car. In poor shape- but I loved it! Put down the back seat a sleep in the back when we sneaked on to the beach at night.

2 Likes

The faint innuendo of that tag line is pretty edgy for them days

1 Like

was that about graduate time

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.