Dutch family spent nine years living in a secret room "waiting for the end of time"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/dutch-family-spent-nine-years.html

2 Likes

spent nine years living in a secret room “waiting for the end of time”

At this point, same, honestly.

16 Likes

But hey, my first priority would also be drinking five beers after 9 years in the hole.

30 Likes

I don’t understand this. Who took care of the vegetable garden or the goat if they spent 9 years in the hidden room? Or did they just hide there between times? Come on, Netherlands, America can’t have the monopoly on nutty but competent Doomsday Preppers.

12 Likes

I can understand waiting for the end of the human race, or even the planet’s destruction, but the end of time? That’s gonna be a long wait.

7 Likes

Hold mah beer, and watch me dig…

1 Like

These people should’ve watched “Blast From The Past”…

4 Likes

They must have felt vindicated when they eventually learned that Donald Trump is President of the United States!

16 Likes

Man, that sucks. To wait all those years just to be rousted a week early. Tsk.

13 Likes

Instead of Waiting for the End of Time, he decided to take off like a Bat out of Hell

didn’t sound like Paradise by the Basement light…

10 Likes

Exactly where my mind went.

This could be a valid way to react to the 2020 election results.

3 Likes

But the parents that tell their kids that God is watching and you will be judged … THAT is ok… THAT is normal stuff to program your children with. OK then.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s necessary to condone any other particular religious teaching in order to recognize that this is a particularly fucked up situation.

4 Likes

I understood the comment more as a somewhat /s argument that it is a difference in degree rather than in kind.
ps: I assume you meant condemn rather than condone?

2 Likes

I rather enjoyed the original U.S. version.

1 Like

I would argue that the difference of degree between those those two examples becomes a degree in kind.

And I meant “condone.” Alvin is arguing with a hypothetical reader who finds the article disturbing but is “ok” with (i.e. “condones”) parents that tell their kids that God is watching and you will be judged.

1 Like

Time is an illusion.
Lunchtime doubly so.

11 Likes

Wait, so they’d have been in there twice as long if they’d been waiting for the end of lunchtime?

1 Like

You have to ask? All the preppers were male, so probably a woman was taking care of them…

…as usual :disappointed:

3 Likes

Maybe, but if time ends, there will no longer be a concept of a “long wait”.