Earth now has population of 8 billion, says U.N.

Originally published at: Earth now has population of 8 billion, says U.N. | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This guy again.

8 Likes

This decelerated growth in population is explained by a number of factors, including more readily available birth control and better education.

Red State, “Hold my beer.”

6 Likes

I’ll just sit here until the inevitable neo-Malthusian or eco-fascist shows up to regale us with doom and gloom before hinting at how we might bring the population (or specific “undeserving” sub-sets of it) down.

11 Likes
1 Like

We have to do something. The earth can only support 7,999,999,999 people! /s

3 Likes

Missed it by THIS much!

1 Like

And I still don’t have a date on Saturday night? That’s depressing.

5 Likes

I mean, really if we knock off 2-3 thousand very specific folks, we’d solve a lot more problems.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/billionaires-by-country

5 Likes

3 Likes

OH man, you’re going to make this into a Bad Religion if you aren’t careful…

I remember when it was only 6 Billion. I am a little impressed we have increased that much and largely managing it. But yeah, hopefully our birth rates world wide shrink to sustainable levels.

2 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

“Decrease in the rate of inflation flattens off”
–(Newspaper headline c1987ish more or less approximately)

1 Like

I heard this reported on the radio this morning.
They said something like, “we’ve been talking to population and climate scientists, and they say, it’s not the size of the population…” and the pubescent-teen part of my brain (which is also aware of climate change) filled in the rest of the sentence with, “it’s the motion of the ocean.”

5 Likes

Is Chicago or Milwaukee within a reasonable distance? I’d at least go out for coffee. No promises beyond that, though. (Caveat: Must like cats.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.