Eat these 5 things and live to be 110 years old, says 110 year old guy

“Eat these five 110-year olds and live to be 550.”

9 Likes

More reality-based:

1. Luck (genetics)
  2. Luck (not dying from unfortunate chance)
  3. Remaining active, social and purposeful.
  4. Not eating too much crap? Cooking helps.
  5. Bonus! Solid on 1-4? Go wild and say whatever crazy old thing you enjoy is the secret to longevity. Cigars, bourbon, ice cream, bungee jumping, whatever. You’re old, you’ve earned it.
5 Likes

Can you explain the method or point me in the right direction? This sound delicious and I want to try it.

Olive oil with added honey. Was it THAT hard to reverse engineer his beverage?

1 Like

I’ve found a Cincinnati chili recipe that includes all these. Do I win a prize?

6 Likes

No. Now I want to try this and don’t have all ingredients at hand.

1 Like

I am not turning this into a chili discussion thread

But isn’t it etymologically interesting how terms like chili and pizza have been applied to such wildly different food?

In one of the cooking threads I may need to make a family tree of styles.

5 Likes

Yes, please do. I love taxonomies, as long as you are willing to entertain alternate interpretations.

Honey fried Coney?

I had scrolled up just far enough that I couldn’t see who wrote this response, but there was no mistaking it was obviously @japhroaig!

4 Likes

This is like something they ate in Sleeper.

I’ve only done it a few times, and I’m afraid I’m not finding much online that’s really useful, after a brief search. I just used it for meats and stir-fries, in the same way I would cooking oil, using enough to cover the bottom of the pan once it got hot. Cook low and slow to keep the sugars from burning. Add more if it seems not to be enough, or (for stir-fries or fried rice) as desired for additional flavor, tasting as you go.

I imagine deep-frying would be possible, but that much honey would be awfully expensive, even if you got it in bulk.

1 Like

Keep it under 350f and you’ll be golden (but not burnt :smile:)

As an aside,honey prices have exploded in recent years. I wish I had the right space for a couple hives.

4 Likes

Don’t forget barbecue, too. There’s another whole world of taxonomy there.

3 Likes

“A habit he picked up from his father, who lived to be 98”

He also picked up a nice set of DNA from his father.

3 Likes

exactly both of these. his dad lived to 98, so yeah genetics and luck.

@telecinese said it pretty well in the comment above.

3 Likes

thinking about it further, i’m kinda disappointed…this would have been so much better if he listed 5 bat shit crazy things, like eat yard trimmings, ear wax, earth worms, toilet paper, and candles.

Great, now I’m hoping i live a long long time just so I can f’ with people.

5 Likes

Seconded. He looks amazing for 110. I perused many other photos of centenarians for reference, and mostly regardless of ethnicity they look like saggy bags of bones (no offense meant by this).

1 Like

Imagine the Fox News interview:

1. Lots of Vegetables
  2. Whiskey
  3. Cigars
  4. Red meat
  5. At least once a month, Gay Sex.
5 Likes

You’re going to die…

5 Likes