Echoing Infowars, Trump lies that 'very dishonest' U.S. press are covering up terror attacks

The WH’s own response to the attack in Quebec provides an interesting contrast here

18 Likes

Why are you making a mountain out of a hole? It makes no sense to me.

15 Likes

Fuck that noise; I read that book, and the only thing that saved the protagonists at the end was alien intervention.

5 Likes

But wasn’t it the aliens that put down the dome in the first place? It doesn’t seem like a very good analogy.

EDIT: Totally forgot how to do the spoiler blur for a second there.

3 Likes

Not that making sense matters even slightly at this point; but does nobody remember that it is pretty damn difficult to do something vaguely noteworthy in a densely settled area without it ending up on youtube, facebook, or both?

Unless this is an epidemic of jihadi jaywalking or something; it would take some very, very, sophisticated conspiring to keep people from commenting on the explosions/gunshots/mangled bodies; etc. It’s also pretty difficult to cover for people who are dead, permanently disabled; or wounded for extended periods. If The Conspiracy has enough clout; it could get the circumstances falsified: coded as simple homicides or accidents; but it takes work to find people who won’t be missed(if only by their bill collectors).

This stuff makes the Sandy Hook truthers sound plausible by comparison.

15 Likes

I knew someone who has also read the book would bring that up; kudos.

Indeed, they did; in fact it was only because one of them felt an iota of pity that the protagonists were spared at all.

But that doesn’t negate or diminish my point; the residents of Chester’s Mill couldn’t save themselves, and the government/military couldn’t save them, either. Their only salvation came from one of the aliens that had imprisoned them in the first place.

As far as we know, there are no aliens to save us; and the idea that we are completely incapable of saving ourselves is simply unthinkable to me…

So again, hard pass on that scenario.

7 Likes

because its not very relevant.

Things that don’t make sense to me are sometimes evidence of a conspiracy, or of incompetence, but sometimes, much more frequently really, they’re evidence that I some have room to grow, or practice tolerance for ambiguity.

10 Likes

And now that I think about it, the Dome didn’t really do that much to fuck over the town. The majority of the shit show came from the narcissistic strongman who utilized it as an opportunity to take power and create an authoritarian fascist regime… uh oh.

18 Likes

Exactly.

9 Likes

Because they wanted to keep the fantasy alive that he was a jihadist there to commit mass murder rather than mass art vandalism - that’s not nearly as sexy/scary. Which is why the idea that the media is ignoring/underreporting terrorism stories is so ridiculous - they love nothing better than a good terrorism story that will get people watching/reading.

31 Likes

You should not forget the doubled-down part of the story where Conway claimed to have learned all about the Terrorists-returned-to-Iraq part of the narrative in a briefing, which was at such an stratospheric level of security clearance that it didn’t officially exist and she can’t tell us any more about it.

8 Likes

the advertisers love nothing better than a good terrorism story that will get people shopping

4 Likes

“Bomb” eh?

I know the word “bomb” is colloquially used for “can of spraypaint,” but I think the context requires clarification: some outlets are reporting (without any specific attribution as far as I can see) that other media (‘local media’) have reported the attacker had cans of paint in his backpack.

Le Monde (local enough?) doesn’t find it worth mentioning, even though they provide a blow-by-blow account of the incident and a description of the attacker’s t-shirt…

22 Likes

Surely you mean Syldavia? Or Borduria? Or both, at the same time?

4 Likes

To a weak-minded conspiracy theorist, that’s just proof of the conspiracy.

I’ve never met a strong-minded one.

8 Likes

Well that just depends on what you mean by “conspiracy”… and, I guess, “strong minded”.

Does stubborn count?

1 Like

IIRC William Burroughs had a story bit that wasn’t too dissimilar to this. In it, a 30 year old looking president goes on TV to deny that his administration is using vampiric technology to stay young. He ends the address by flipping off the American people and saying “F¥¥¥ you all, I got mine.”

In the future we will forget Burroughs was a satirist and not a documentarian.

5 Likes

Oh come on, they’re fictional! Whereas I understand that Guilder and Florin are sabre-rattling.

6 Likes

I have my suspicions about Trump’s belief in anything he says or does. Probably when he talks about how great he thinks he is, there’s no untruth to his motivation.

But it really does appear as if the CIA is running Alex Jones with a variant of the ‘mind-controlled sex slaves for the elite’ angle that it turned out he was most susceptible to. I’ve previously mentioned that I think the CIA have decided to pretend to roll over and play nice with Trump, but I think the the influence they have is probably limited to indirect manipulation.

They are managing the crazy in a way that maximises their agenda given the current circumstances, rather than inventing and pushing it the way big T’s administration seems to be.
Of course, you have to wonder how much misinformation they are able to levy against anyone they want, including those with influence over POTUS and his staff.

I find most conspiracy theorists are always short on hard, documented evidence, and long on flights of fancy. They don’t think very well, but they think very hard. That’s why I call them weak minded.

And by conspiracy theorists, I mean people who make up and/or believe in “grand conspiracies”

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

I’d say that the only “Grand Conspiracy” that’s existed in the last hundred years is probably the Manhattan Project. Although Bletchley Park’s cracking the Enigma was pretty big too.

5 Likes