Edwin Edwards, famously corrupt Louisiana governor, dead at 93

Originally published at: Edwin Edwards, famously corrupt Louisiana governor, dead at 93 | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Death comes for us all, eventually; even the evil rich fuckers.

Good riddance.

16 Likes

93 huh?

12 Likes

Don’t worry, they’re working on fixing that… :expressionless:

3 Likes

When the choice was between Edwards and KKK’s very own David Duke in the early 90s, the compelling get-out-the-vote slogan was “Vote for the crook—it’s important.”

21 Likes

They will fail.

There is no escaping the inevitability of death no matter how rich and powerful anyone is.

And if they keep making the planet itself worse, then that time grows even shorter - there will be no ‘migration to Mars’ or other planets.

11 Likes

I liked the local headline that included “served 4 terms as governor and 8 years in prison.”
He had lots of other good lines too. He was an entertaining bastard, that unlike trump was intelligent and competent in addition to (like trump) being a corrupt narcissist that should never have held public office

As @Wayward pointed out, that was only when he was running against Duke. The point of the slogan was that we were pissed about having to vote for a crook to keep David Duke out of the governor’s office.

19 Likes

More monies wasted on a funeral service

5 Likes

Trump rc1.

3 Likes

Edwards was known as “Fast Eddie” or “Dead Eddie” as he is now known.

5 Likes

I remember watching a “60 Minutes” profile of this corrupt sleazeball back in the early '80s. It was astounding to teenage me watching him proudly admit selling patronage appointments to the highest bidder.

I don’t find any of that charming, and “better than David Duke” isn’t much of a badge of honour.

10 Likes

Given how old he was, the obits might have been written many years ago. If they were written from scratch now, his plain-speaking regular guy shtick might be viewed more critically. Or not.

6 Likes

Not to be confused with “Eddie Spaghetti”. That guy is cool AF.

7 Likes

And now we get a crook and a racist for the price of one vote! Progress!

12 Likes

Actually, that’s a great time to bring out the protesters, editorialists and historians. Remind the living of the corruption of the dead dude… and of those still living and in office.

5 Likes

Post mortem smear campaign. I like the cut of your jib

4 Likes

Who said beating a dead horse is useless, especially when a whole stable of troublesome ones are looking on.

5 Likes

Too soon!
No - too late.

3 Likes

Some quick history on the 1991 LA governor election:
The incumbent governor, Buddy Roemer was the favorite to win re-election but just months before the election switched from democrat to republican (he was really just democrat in name only anyway). The republican committee had already backed an establishment candidate (Clyde Holloway), and the dems had no candidate, not knowing Roemer would switch. Edwards jumped in, already having the political machine to put together a last minute campaign.

Louisiana republican voters didn’t back Holloway or Roemer (either of whom would presumably have beaten Edwards), but instead chose the klansman leaving the worst election choice in a long time: grifter or grand wizard.

One of those elections that made it clear how republican value claims are complete bullshit. They had 2 experienced, conservative, pro-business, anti-abortion, Christian candidates and went with the unqualified guy who had once seriously advocated for everyone he deemed not-white to be forcibly deported from Louisiana (and most other states)

6 Likes
3 Likes