EFF is liveblogging the Jeff Sessions Attorney General confirmation hearing

8:10 a.m. (PST) – In answering a question from Sen. Orrin Hatch, Sessions says he’d consider reestablishing a unit within the DOJ to prosecute obscenity.

8:28 a.m. (PST) – In responding to a question from Sen. Patrick Leahy, Sessions said he believes that a person’s religious views can and should be a factor in determining whether they should be admitted into the U.S.

16 Likes

Pssssh… Trump won’t target Muslims. That’s just pandering rhetoric to get enough votes to surpass all those illegals voting in California. /s

8 Likes

I have a hypothesis: He is not [particularly] racist [for an Alabama politician]. He is a raving McCarthyite.

EDIT:

He has called the ACLU and NAACP “Communist-inspired.”

The article states that he is unwilling to continue protections for journalists (such as they are) because “you could have a situation where the media is not unbiased.” What does he think the media would be biased towards that would justify the DOJ stepping in? My guess is Communism.

Those poll activists he wanted to sentence to life in prison? I’m guessing he thought they might be Communist activists.

Marijuana? Harsh penalties, because it’s smoked by long-haired anti-Vietnam War Communists.

The Civil Rights Movement? Anti, because equality is a Communist idea.

I’m completely serious. See if he does anything that can’t be interpreted through this lens.

9 Likes

And yet:

Sessions: ‘I have no belief and do not support the idea that Muslims as a religious group should be denied admission to the United States.’

8 Likes

Yeah, we did have a war - remember that the “state’s rights” lovin’ south were so enamored of state’s rights that they forced the federal government to deny state’s rights to not recognize slavery.

An even scarier interpretation is thru this lens:

A new Confederacy is afoot. (but not this )

Persecuting black voters for voting
Loves Voter Suppression Laws
Loves Jim Crow Laws
Election Rigging / Gerrymandering
Longs for 3/5 Compromise of 1787

3 Likes

I think I would use a different body part in that metaphor :angry:

7 Likes

Well, he called an African American a “boy”… hard to spin that as about communism… Oh, and “joked” that he stopped liking the KKK when he found out they smoked pot.

You do realize that he can be both racist and staunchly anti-communist, right? It’s not either/or here.

19 Likes
9 Likes

I put a lot of qualifiers on that first sentence. He is definitely not colorblind.

However, I worry that people might miss an opportunity to learn his character for the purpose of being able to predict what he’s going to do next if they assume he’s driven by racism, which fits nicely into the narrative of 2016, rather than by McCarthyism, which doesn’t.

1 Like

FTFY :cry:

2 Likes

Jeff Sessions is an old, ignorant man whose beliefs endanger America.

13 Likes

I think we can understand both points, that he’s anti-communist and has serious issues with race. But you’re saying that the thing that matters is his McCarthyism, rather than his racism. In this case, I’d argue that his anti-communism serves as a cover of “respectability” for his racism, sexism, and homophobia.

The privileging of anti-communism over racism generally only serves to deny that racism is a phenomenon on it’s own that needs to be understood and combated. It’s in fact been a tactic used by some on the left to discount racism within the left itself and in labor movements. Plenty of leftists flat out deny that racism needs to be understood outside of an analysis of race and that’s always and continues to be deeply problematic.

13 Likes

If he is indeed “anti-communist” he is going to have an interesting time in the Trump administration. Something tells me that he is not.

Quit making my jaw drop.

5 Likes

Today’s Russia isn’t a communist country, though, so one can love Putin and still be an anti-communist. Of course, some would argue that the Soviet Union wasn’t a real communist country either, but I don’t buy that.

6 Likes

The privileging of anti-communism over racism generally only serves to deny that racism is a phenomenon on it’s own that needs to be understood and combated.

Okay, put that way, I’ll concede. Put it this way: When I compare Sessions with other Alabama politicians, his apparent McCarthyism stands out to me. His racism? Fish in water. It is ever present in Alabama politics. If he didn’t naturally have those attitudes, he would have had to pretend to have them for political reasons.

Can you point out a time when anti-communism, verging on Bircherism, wasn’t rampant in Alabama, either, though (or anywhere in the south)? Alabama has the lowest state taxes and I’d bet they got there by focusing on how evil and communist taxes were. [quote=“exception, post:37, topic:92664”]
If he didn’t naturally have those attitudes, he would have had to pretend to have them for political reasons.
[/quote]

I don’t know… do modern Democrats pretend to be racist to get by in the solid south?

3 Likes

What Democrats?

But yes, they used to. There was even a term, “Dixiecrat.”

EDIT:
Not sure they were pretending.

2 Likes
10 Likes