EFF is liveblogging the Jeff Sessions Attorney General confirmation hearing

How in the actual fuck is that pro-life?

13 Likes

Wow. WOW. People are literally killed out of blatant discrimination, but he gets his feelings hurt because someone called him racist? Talk about fragility.

16 Likes

I looked up the John Birch society on Wikipedia for a refresher. Imma back all the way down now. This looks like two sides of the same coin.

4 Likes

They don’t give a flying fuck about “life,” they only care about controlling women.

13 Likes

“U.S. attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions pledges to protect women seeking legal abortion” Reuters

(Only where available)

7 Likes

Which you can easily stick to by redefining what “legal abortion” is. And availability thereof.

8 Likes

Exacty.

FYI: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-march-on-washington-official-tickets-29428287801

FAQs
I’M NOT A WOMAN, AM I INVITED?
Yes, the Women’s March on Washington is for any person, regardless of gender or gender identity, who believes women’s rights are human rights.

10 Likes

More like Jeff Secessions, am I right?

12 Likes

I’m well aware who the dixiecrats were, thanks. Many of the dixiecrats later became Republicans or publicly renounced racism.

And I am talking about more recent democrats, post-civil rights - well after the Dixiecrats existed as a political party. Which was literally a year.

But you didn’t answer my question about when there was a period when communism was okay to southern politicians.

4 Likes

Yes, that was kind of my point. It’s very hard to disentangle some parts of the anti-communist movement, especially in the south, from other issues. I don’t think anyone would disagree that Sessions’ views borders on McCarthyism, just that it goes hand in hand with racism, rather than overshadows it.

Thanks.

9 Likes

This is a side bar, but I know you are knowledgeable of the context of what I’m asking. Wouldn’t modern McCarthism be more in line with the War on Terror rhetoric which is now on the level of Sessions saying we need to evaluate someone’s religion (targeting muslims) for entry into the country?

All the expansions of the government into harvesting private data, special government departments focused on jingoistic politics, etc are in the name of fighting terrorists. The rhetoric around Russia is more tightly drawn on partisanship, and the lines have only been crossed by the standard military establishment types.

4 Likes

Apparently not adopted.

The gentleman who testified that he used the derogatory “boy” and told the KKK joke also believed that Dan Rather was sending him secret messages through the television.

I think an argument could be made about that. There are certainly parallels between the communist witchhunts of McCarthy’s day and the war on terror… in fact, part of my suspicions about the democrats wanting to come down so hard on the Russians in recent years (over and above the actual threat possibly posed by Russia seeking to expand it’s power base at the expense of their neighbors), is the Obama administration attempting to defuse and redirect popular attention away from the war on terror and what’s essentially become for many the war on Islam towards a more traditional threat so that they could eventually wind it down (or if I’m not feeling generous towards the Democrats, in order to continue it in more covert ways). After all, everyone who has any involvement in the Mid East or with Muslim majority groups within their country employ war on terror narratives to justify their actions, including the Russians - look at how they talk about the Chechens, for example.

I don’t think either party would want to scale back the public/private security state. Again, if I’m feeling more paranoid, I’ll say that it’s really about deflecting the attention of the American public onto a threat, so that they can continue to erode our public institutions and turn them over to private corporations and that both sides to it to one degree or another. [quote=“Max_Blancke, post:53, topic:92664, full:true”]
The gentleman who testified that he used the derogatory “boy” and told the KKK joke also believed that Dan Rather was sending him secret messages through the television.
[/quote]

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

And what about all the other evidence presented against Sessions in 1986 - including the letter by Coretta King? It’s not like it was this and then nothing else. It scuttled his appointment which apparently for a position like Federal judge is pretty rare.

10 Likes

… and believes that the last time it was great was before Lincoln was in office.

3 Likes

I think the big takeaway should be that the efforts really are to distract and divide like you say. It is interesting to use history to try and apply reason to it all, but targeting vague scary things has been effective since the dawn of time to unite against an enemy. I do get the sense that the massive political machine (especially on the Democratic and military side) is seeking a new target, I normally use anytime North Korea hits the news cycle to gauge when people are trying to find a new bad guy for their narrative :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

All that being said, these countries (like the Russians or North Koreans) can still be problematic. I think the problem is almost always when they are painted as “evil” as opposed to have an agenda that doesn’t square with our desires about how the world should look. I do agree that North Korea having a nuke could be really dangerous, but the biggest danger they pose is to their neighbors and the most productive way to curb their program would be by working with them and working with China - neither of which we’re likely to do in the next 4 years.

6 Likes

I wish that letter were part of the public record. If she had personally been the recipient of racist actions by Mr. Sessions, that would be very damning. There have also been quite a few people who have known Mr. Sessions for decades, and have testified that they are positive that he is not a racist, including the Black Pastors who gave the news conference today. He is a republican, and it has been normal to accuse all republican candidates for any position of racism.

Larry Thompson, the former deputy attorney general in George W. Bush’s administration, recalled sleeping in the same bed in hotel rooms with Sessions “in order to stretch our limited per diems on travel to Department of Justice conferences.”
He said, “You really get to know a person when you interact so closely with them,” continuing “I have been an African American for 71 years and I think I know a racist when I experience one. Jeff Sessions is simply a good and decent man.” He called Sessions a “friend” who “does not have a racist bone in his body.”

Whether or not he personally hates POC, women, or LBGQT people is not the point. He has a pretty consistent record of opposing a variety of civil rights legislation. That’s good enough to keep him out of the job of enforcing federal law.

[ETA] You can read about some of his problematic positions over the years on his wikipedia page:

And you can read about his involvement in a case about supposed voter fraud aimed at the black community in the mid-80s:

15 Likes

6 Likes