Election 2019 - Whither Canada?

all jokes are serious now, and everything serious is a joke

2 Likes

Ugh, it’s spreading.

5 Likes

Candidates of all the parties have been visited by the Ghost of Social Media Past, but the Conservatives have come up with an interesting response to this, for important GTA ridings at least: Just say that you’re sorry!

Speaking to reporters on his campaign plane Sunday night, Scheer said if a Conservative candidate has made racist or homophobic comments in the past he will stand by the candidate as long as they apologize and take responsibility for those comments.

“I accept the fact that people make mistakes in the past and can own up to that and accept that,” he said. “I believe many Canadians, most Canadians, recognize that people can say things in the past, when they’re younger, at a different time in their life, that they would not say today.”

I haven’t seen the direct text of her homophobic posts, but I gather it includes “something something homosexual something sterilization something” or something.

Well, “Sorry!” it is! Glad to see Andrew Scheer rehabilitating someone too right-fringe for Doug Ford.

Hmm. A Google search for “Ghada Melek” “Progressive Conservative” brings up my site on 2nd page, 3rd entry. Impressive, but a less specific search wouldn’t rank as high. Still, it’s the background noise across thousands of keywords now. It’s kind of the inverse of a Twitter tr*ll flood.

3 Likes

Hmm. Sending cases direct to the Supreme Court would get a faster final answer, but why does he think the results would be in his/Alberta’s/oil companies’ favour? (Trudeau was careful to top up the court before calling the election.)

Aha, here’s the fish-hook in the pie, as expected:

However, economists note that the biggest benefits of Scheer’s tax giveaway would be families that earn over $250,000, while working families would receive relatively insignificant savings.

Another promise that sounds good, but those are the people backing the Conservatives. What is he going to give them in exchange?

1 Like

The race for the bottom continues…

1 Like

When I first saw a photo of this, I laughed because I thought it was an extremely clever shoop from somewhere like the Beverton. But it’s real. /facepalm

One thing the Cons seem to have forgotten, going into this election: this time they aren’t the right flank. This time they are in the tradition LPC role with attacks going to come from the left and the right. Trudeau’s fuck-ups aside, the Liberals are better at playing that game. Not only that, but MB was one of theirs. He knows the playbook and has revenge on the mind.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that a lot of the hits on both main parties are coming from that direction. All those dirty little CPC secrets… it’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

1 Like

I don’t think that the Cons’ve forgotten. The blackface stories (at least the video the Conservatives provided Global) broke just after the poll results looked like a slow pull-away for the Liberals, but also after Maxime Bernier was invited to the debates after all. They were forced to play that card sooner than they’d like to to keep things even.

In those debates, Andrew Scheer is going to have vibrate his position at super-speed to avoid losing on the left and right, especially when Bernier’s out for blood.

1 Like

“Just joking”, I’m sure.

1 Like

Total shock. With his right hand, he promises to cut corporate handouts. With his gripping right hand, he opens a tax dodge.

1 Like
3 Likes

Alberta’s Jason Kenney and Ontario’s Doug Ford also skipped those. Kenney continues to vent conspiracy theories.

Wut?

2 Likes

The very fine people who think the People’s Party is ((too lefty)) and the Conservatives are run by Antifa might have a problem.

The party advocates “the creation of a strong central authority” that would re-write the constitution to replace “multiculturalism” with “ethnic nationalism,” end the “suppression” of “European ethnicity” and also ban water fluoridation.

But of course!

2 Likes

Rebel Media “journalist” David Menzies has been kicked out of Liberal Party events before, but now he’s managed to be kicked out of a Conservative Party event. Let’s see if he can go big time and manage to be offensive enough to be kicked out of a People’s Party one!

Update:

1 Like

Our electoral system is FPTP and broken. I’m convinced the best way to have any kind of say on the left is to create a new party on the right to compete with conservatives in each riding or to merge the greens and NDP before the vote, not a coalition after the fact. Totally broken.