Elections 2021 and 2022

This angers me for another reason, too. We pay legislators in the US to create and revise laws. In multiple state legislatures and on the federal level, the performance of elected officials keeps getting worse. I really wish some effort would be made to put this into campaign ads that fit right in with GOP messaging about work.

Taxpayers are not getting what they paid for, and haven’t been for years. Members of the GOP state publicly that they’re not going to do their jobs for the most part, instead focusing on preventing anything from getting done. The consequences of this cost us even more. Now, they pick several fascist issues, make a mountain out of a molehill, and look at all of the legislation they’re suddenly attempting to pass. So, it wasn’t that they couldn’t do the job, they just wouldn’t…until they decide to focus on subjects that don’t do a single thing for jobs, the economy, childcare, cost of living, or tax reform.*

If the average worker did something like that they’d be fired. It’s time to fire these pols and bring in folks who understand the value of an honest day’s work in exchange for their pay (followed by an updated version of these):

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/218579-time-in-dc-for-lawmakers-works-out-to-608-per-hour

*Those topics came from a top-ten list of issues in this Gallup poll.

12 Likes
10 Likes

Ken Jeong Asian GIF

8 Likes

Not so much the misspelling, but wtf is he trying (and failing) to say with that gobbeldygook?

8 Likes

When it comes to him, unless it’s some message like, “Why am I being arrested right now?”…

so what who cares tv show GIF

6 Likes

Amazing.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Cat No GIF by Looney Tunes

10 Likes

I thought electing judges was about the worst possible idea. I confess, i lacked imagination. What a shit show.

11 Likes

“Cheer up,” he said, “it could be worse!” So I cheered up, and he was right. It got worse.

11 Likes
9 Likes

“ As it turns out, former Ku Klux Klan member Chester Doles won’t qualify to run for office in Georgia due to a felony conviction unveiled by CBS 46.

Doles, who had his eye on the District 3 seat of the Lumpkin County Board of Commissioners, pleaded guilty to battery in the beating of Charles Peters, a Black man, in Maryland in 1993, The Baltimore Sun reported.

But it’s his decision to plead guilty to possessing dozens of firearms in 2004 that led to him being stripped of the opportunity to run for office. A truly sad sentence if ever there were one.”

8 Likes

Bannon is evil and looks deader than a Russian general

No kidding; Gary Oldman looked less evil and ghoulish when he was playing an actual ghoul.

ghouls

12 Likes

Addressed to “members of the Pennsylvania press” and circulated among media outlets and political insiders, the demand from the campaigns of State Sen. Jake Corman, former Delaware County Council member Dave White, former congressman Lou Barletta, and former U.S. Attorney Bill McSwain lists four requirements that must be met for these candidates to participate in any primary debate:

Moderators must be registered Republicans who live in Pennsylvania. They must not have endorsed or donated to any of the participants. They must not have “spoken negatively about any of the candidates on stage,” or work “for an organization that has maligned one of the candidates.” Plus, they don’t want questions that require answers shorter than 30 seconds.

10 Likes

7 Likes

saturday night live snowflakes GIF by HULU

10 Likes

I hope this works. Allowing an unequal playing field in fundraising is another barrier to entry in elections:

10 Likes

They can’t win without cheating in every possible way, whether denying their opposition money, fair electorates, or voters. And they know it.

6 Likes

“ Per the Hatch Act, special government employees like Oz and Walker are not permitted to run for partisan office while they conduct office government business. This the president sent both of them letters asking for their resignations by the end of the day.

Walker has not commented publicly, but Oz had a downright tizzy on Twitter.”

UPPDATE: Oz and Walker are doubling down, because of course they are.

13 Likes

“Herschel and Ozzy” sounds like a pair of neighborhood weirdos from the uncanny 1970s tv shows I sometimes dream about. Mostly harmless kids, but you worry about how they’re going to turn out as adults.

11 Likes