Elections 2021 and 2022

I’m totally onboard with her as a candidate but I am confused by the implication that her status as a veteran would make a meaningful difference, when the article itself makes the following statement:

So if it’s no longer an advantage why list that among the reasons she should run?

Today’s GOP (and certainly their current standard-bearer) is just going to call her a “loser” and “sucker” for leaving her legs behind in Iraq. Which certainly shouldn’t stop her from running but she’s not getting their votes either way.

1 Like

If you add up those on active duty and veterans, plus their families, plus all the former card-carrying members of the Republican party who are now without a party – those that the Lincoln Party folks are targeting – the net gain over diehard MAGAts would be significant in a close election.

5 Likes

So you’re making the argument that it is an advantage for a candidate. That’s fine, but the article explicitly said it wasn’t so I wasn’t sure what point the article’s author was trying to make.

1 Like

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. The article – as so many others these days – did seem to be very sloppily written.

6 Likes

There is a legal theory that the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment effectively did away with the “natural born” requirement since all U.S. Citizens are now supposed to have the same rights. But the only way to definitively settle that question would be for someone to take the case for a candidate’s eligibility to the Supreme Court, and neither party seems interested enough in running an immigrant candidate to make that kind of effort.

6 Likes

Also, Republicans hate immigrants, and the current Supreme Court would say no to a Democratic candidate for any reason it can find.

7 Likes

The ideal test case would be if Republicans decided to run an immigrant candidate. It wasn’t so many years ago it seemed feasible that Arnold Schwarzenegger might be such a candidate, but the party has taken a hard right turn and a few crazy loop-de-loops since then.

7 Likes

Epidurals for everyone (who wants one)!

6 Likes

In the original director’s cut of Macbeth the big twist at the end is that while Macduff’s cesarean birth allowed him to kill the usurper without contradicting the Weird Sisters’ prophecy, it was also the reason he was disqualified from taking the office himself.

8 Likes
14 Likes

I’m sure the consequences of this law were completely unforseen by Kemp.

17 Likes

No GIF

12 Likes

Speaking of political cash…

9 Likes

At this point, I can only hope that these fear-mongering headlines backfire by causing record turnout at the polls. :weary:

8 Likes

Democratic Party approves rules allowing states to compete for first-in-the-nation status

Long overdue

11 Likes

Are the kids all right?

2 Likes

Once the R’s actually nominate somebody in 2024, all the non-crazy votes will line up behind Biden by default, same as last time

5 Likes

Smart move. I wish more Democrats were doing it:

7 Likes

I’m more worried about what this means for 2022…

1 Like
7 Likes