Elections 2021 and 2022

mortal kombat fatality GIF

10 Likes

Hell Yeah Damages GIF

12 Likes

Yup. That was probably not a topic he really wanted to get into with her. She has the ability and the willingness to take him down. So good to see.

13 Likes

Abbott agreed to a single debate with Beto. I’ll be watching

Also this bullshit

“In between television appearances in New York and fundraising in Hollywood, we are pleased Beto O’Rourke is taking the time to debate Governor Abbott in the only statewide televised debate,” Abbott spokesperson Mark Miner said in a statement.

This is reality

O’Rourke had been in the middle of a 49-day campaign tour, where he planned to hold around 70 public events and travel more than 5,600 miles. His events in San Antonio, Pearsall, Three Rivers, Corpus Christi, and Goliad will be rescheduled, according to his campaign website.

So 70 planned events with a handful cancelled due to illness.

11 Likes

So looks like Beto has adopted the Abrams method of campaigning!

12 Likes

She’s a smart lady! Beto could do a lot adopting her playbook

9 Likes
11 Likes

There’s no way this lighting isn’t deliberate Brandonification

The image referred to there:

Works for me. I’ll take a Fighting Joe over a conciliatory one any day.

10 Likes

Looks like something from “Triumph of the Will”.

7 Likes

Maybe Democrats will finally siphon off some of those Republican base voters! /s

8 Likes

Fervor’s not a bad thing when it’s for a good cause.

I just watched his 25-minute speech on YouTube. It’s not nearly as fiery as that photo suggests, but it’s good nonetheless to hear him label MAGA extremism and white supremacy and describe them as imminent threats to democracy.

13 Likes

Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

Still. I’m looking forward to listening to the speech sometime tomorrow.

8 Likes

When these two candidates agree on a debate, it’s probably gonna get ugly. Dr. Oz is flailing, and it’s an even worse look:

10 Likes

We are working the problem(s).

Hats off to co-organizer Julie Oliver. Courage. Persistence. Smarts.

13 Likes

District news letter pointed out there is a proposition on the November ballot about an Attendence credit. Unbeknownst to me, when a school district gets rich enough they have to hold a vote to pay their share of the extra to the state with an “Attendence Credit.” If the vote fails the Texas Education comes in and carves out some territory worth, in this case, 1.4 billion dollars and gives it to a neighboring (presumably poorer) district. Then the kids in that district have to switch schools.
https://www.pfisd.net/Page/8635
I’m not sure how I feel about this and I’m also not sure where the TEA would carve off land. The TEA hasn’t said where. I’m wondering if it’s because all the surrounding districts are wealthy too?
Anyway. This seems like a weird way to get Robin Hood done. Anyone know how it works in other states?

Also- what happens to the schools in the carved out territory?

Edited to add: I’m asking for casual knowledge! And mostly kvetching. I’ll be looking into our situation anyway. My inclination is to vote yes- just pay the damned money. The territory swap thing sounds like it would cause major issues for both my district and the one receiving that territory

8 Likes

That is really bizarre. I’ve never heard of anything like that before. I’ve heard of budget distribution rebalancing, but never forced annexation of a neighboring district!

6 Likes

It sounds like the state thought that the only way they’d get people to vote in favour of the equalisation payments would be to pose the question as “Pay up, or you might have to send your children to be educated with the poor people”.

10 Likes

IIUC this is the basis for the current public- and private school education “systems” in the state of Louisiana.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I hope the GOP are all thinking this way and continue to do so untill the polls close.

Considering the amount of calculation each party puts into who gets sent onto Sunday shows and what those politicians are directed/cleared to say, Emmer’s remarks represent the best the GOP could come up with upon learning that they badly miscalculated on abortion and thus are losing their chance to reclaim Congress. They really trotted out the man in charge of the group that’s trying to elect Republicans to the House of Representatives, and he spewed random racist madlibs about abortion plus “what about Hunter Biden.”

14 Likes