Elections 2021 and 2022

10 Likes

Police say no indication shooting politically motivated

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

15 Likes
14 Likes

That is messed up. Even in Texas it takes less time than that.

11 Likes

Then you go through three or four prompts, including a very serious™️ warning about perjury, a totally necessary warning given how huge a problem stolen identity is for the purposes of voting on behalf of someone else.

Sounds like the system to make getting an abortion (back when they were still legal) as difficult as possible thanks to multiple unnecessary steps to make you think you were doing something wrong at every step of the way.

11 Likes

I had a line too for this run-off… we’re out in the burbs…

9 Likes

Interesting comments from young voters in GA:

5 Likes

in depends somewhat on skin color. areas with higher numbers of poc have fewer polling places, and longer distances to drive. assuming you have a car

this was 2020

In La Salle County, researchers found, the average driving distance increased by 4% for white voters and by 42% for voters of color

and apparently things got worse

10 Likes

More voter suppression shenanigans in GA explained:

9 Likes

Too true, I should have been more specific. I was struck by the part where they have to fill in a paper and then wait 20 min just to get verified and get their ballot. In my experience, (as a white woman) the verification part takes hardly any time every place I’ve voted as long as the person has a DL or ID.
I’ve also always lived in more blue counties of Texas. So my experience might just be the ideal, which makes me sad

9 Likes

yeah, it sounds wild.

( @Mindysan33 was it like that for you? )

where i live the process is: they send you a ballot and you send it back. that’s it. ( although you do have to pay for a stamp… )

agreed. me too. voting shouldn’t be this hard for people. and many of the m difficulties i think are hidden from whites in both blue and red areas

8 Likes

No, they handed us the application while we were in line, fill it out, hand it to the election worker who is verifying you, and then you can vote. I’ve never voted by mail.

10 Likes

We had a state election (Victoria, Australia) a couple of weekends ago.

Elections are always held on a Saturday, to give the greatest number of people the best chance to vote without having to take time off work.
Compulsory voting, so there are voting booths within walking distance of most people. We had to walk for almost five minutes to our nearest one.
Early voting and mail voting is now de-rigeur. So by election day almost half the population had already voted, which means we didn’t have a line at all.
Verification was “surname? First name? You live on Station Street?” marks next to name. “Here are your ballot papers.” Some polling places ran out of ballot papers, in which case there was a slight delay while the electoral workers drew some up freehand while new supplies were on their way.
We had a barbeque sausage each on the way out.
The winning party of the election was known by 10pm that evening. Even with preferential voting and a strong showing from the Greens and a sort-of-non-aligned-bloc called the Teal Independents to complicate the counting.

My point is not to rub it in or to try to tell you anything you don’t already know, it’s to emphasise the point that all the things you’re describing are not accidental, and they are not inevitable, and they are not unavoidable: they’re all the direct result of deliberate choices.

You deserve better.

12 Likes

That’s how it is in CA if you’ve voted at least once before (I just read that they can ask to see an ID for first-time voters, which is puzzling). Voting used to take place at many different locations including a private residences and it was always within walking distance, but it’s generally done at churches and schools these days.

8 Likes

Ah, that’s right! I remember going with my mom when she voted, down the street from us in someone’s house. (Carter won)

There was a Modern Family based on that premise but it was a citywide election (& also fictional…)

4 Likes

asking for id from first time voters sounds like the overton window in action. a concession to a rapidly rightward position

it used to be conservatives were very against the idea of needing government ids for things, now that they’ve realized they can use it for suppressing minority votes? they’re all in

10 Likes

The polling place for my previous home was in a neighbor’s garage so that’s still a thing in at least some parts of California.

6 Likes

In VA we need ID every time. Hand them your DL, state your full name and address, they type something for a moment and off you go. As l9ng as you have a DL, of course.

10 Likes

I have a mole I can show them as an identifying mark. I hope there’s a privacy screen.

10 Likes

No way. I’d be worried that my pet mole might escape! :mouse2:

12 Likes