Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

I kinda feel like I shouldn’t vote because I’m not a Michigander. They are all very nice and I wish them all luck!

7 Likes

Two entries in the elementary/middle school category from Arvon Township School, one of the smallest districts in the state (enrollment in the 12-15 range according to their website)! Very cool.

This one, though, in the general public category:
:sob:

16 Likes
7 Likes

I saw that one and it got a chuckle/sob from me. I also liked

And the runner ups:

I also liked the idea of voting outside, next to a lake

13 Likes

Great idea! I might do that when I get my ballot sent to me. Voting cat got my vote, I :heart: voting cat!

7 Likes

What a fucking idiot.

11 Likes

I’ve noticed most of the calls for Biden to step aside (leaving Marianne Williamson out of this for the moment because … she’s not a serious candidate) are coming from boomer white men in the Party, the New York Times, CNN, and the more centrist of MSNBC’s on air talent. This really tells me everything I need to know. Biden’s Presidency has been too progressive for all these people, and they saw that debate performance as an opportunity to eliminate Biden.

14 Likes

You may be right, and I’ve been thinking about it since your post along these lines over in another thread. It feels to me like an algorithmic feeding frenzy, though. Like something somewhere decided that this is what is going to drive the most clicks, the most engagement, so everyone is running with it. And it’s feeding on itself. And apparently Mark and Carla aren’t immune. It just all feels like the kind of rage/glee push, depending on one’s viewpoint, that social media is famous for.

In any case, it does feel like someone is trying to manipulate the electorate. Again.

13 Likes

Also feels like reactive horseshit of the kind that keeps a group of people embroiled in so much frivolous drama that they ignore and downplay egregious abuse.

Maybe all of these things at once.

13 Likes

On further reflection, the deer in that last one has some serious sass and now I’m feeling voter’s remorse.

5 Likes

Interesting . I could see the desire for drama/intrigue leading to ratings ratings/clinics as a push for a new character with more pizazz. They are trying to Scrappy Doo the election. They didn’t try to push Trump out because he’s great as a hero/villain, but Biden is (by TV metrics ) dull and sensible, which doesn’t sell ad space.

3 Likes

As a Midwesterner, I was legally required to vote for the “Ope, I voted” option!

12 Likes

but that deer is so old… :grimacing:

10 Likes

Laughing And Crying Pedro Pascal GIF by Golden Globes

10 Likes

“The interview, recorded on July 3, aired the following morning – the fourth of July – at 6 a.m. It was Biden’s first media appearance after the debate, and the president directly addressed concerns about his performance and fitness for office.”

“WURD Radio is the only African-American owned and operated talk radio station in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (and one of only three remaining in the country). Started in 2002, over the past 19 years WURD has evolved into a multi-media, multi-platform communications company that reaches deeply into the Black community through radio, events, digital and social media. It is considered the go-to media channel to engage, interact and connect with Philadelphia’s Black community.”

13 Likes

The two biggest newspapers in Chicago are the Chicago Tribune (has always leaned right) and the Chicago Sun-Times (has always leaned left). I would not expect this piece to be given space in the Trib.

14 Likes

What people actually care about:

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-poll-74-worry-americans-could-lose-our-freedoms-were-not-careful

7 Likes
3 Likes

I’m not surprised to see the conservative Cato Institute pull in another jab there at the 1619 Project.

6 Likes

No. That is more BS. “I have respect for the Republicans, but none for the Dems?” Because the Republicans want to end democracy, establish a fascist authoritarian theocracy, and eliminate “undesirables” but the dems are not perfect. These kind of guys who claim to be leftists while cheering the end of all hope because it proves they were correct all along? Nah, i have no time for that noise. We have a world to save. And voting out fascists at every level is a beginning. The way our system works, flawed as it is, requires voting Dems in if you want fascists out. I want fascists out. Period.

17 Likes