Elections 2023 and 2024

For example, in 1805, Mercy Otis Warren wrote “History of the Rise, Progress and Termination of the American Revolution” and was particularly critical of the John Adams administration. Adams responded: “History is not the province of the ladies.

Wow, i suspect there are some here who might disagree with the Hon. Mr. Adams, eh, @Mindysan33 ?

11 Likes

Abagail probably smacked him upside his head.

10 Likes

Oh, certain kinds of history are for ladies! As long as we don’t get out of our proper lanes! :laughing:

13 Likes

Dolly Madison enters the chat?

10 Likes

She is known for her March 1776 letter to John and the Continental Congress, requesting that they, “remember the ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.”[4]

She was a badass.

21 Likes

TIL!! Wow, that is really cool!

9 Likes

Everybody has blind sides. The real irony is that data and logic is what the people pushing back on the calls to remove Biden are citing, while those calls for his removal are based primarily on fear, panic, prior grudges, and opportunism.

11 Likes

IMHO it’s already too late to give the Democrats any credit for “moving quickly” against Menendez considering that they decided to let him keep his seat on the Foreign Relations Committee and continue to receive classified briefings even as he was standing trial for acting as a foreign agent. But they should definitely take this opportunity to do the right thing ASAP.

11 Likes

Joe just now from his NAACP event- pretty much on fire.

Great line from the speech - My opponent says black jobs (something like that) “I know what a black job is - It’s my Vice President Kamala Harris!”

He’s about to come out with a major initiative to limit the Supreme Court.

16 Likes
6 Likes
19 Likes

I applaud the intent, but ultimately it’s an example of trying to do the most difficult thing our federal government can do to counter a SCOTUS decision that has zero merit and just shouldn’t exist.

Just pack the f’in court already!

16 Likes

In recent weeks, Biden had a phone call with Laurence Tribe, a leading constitutional scholar, to discuss Tribe’s opinion piece in the Guardian proposing concrete steps to reform the supreme court, which included new term limits, an “enforceable ethics code”, and an amendment limiting presidential immunity, the Post reported.

Among additional reforms Americans should consider, Tribe wrote in that piece, was also the idea of potentially creating “several added seats [on the court] to offset the way Trump as president stacked the court to favor his Maga agenda”.

But adding justices to the court, as some Democratic members of Congress have advocated for, was not among the reforms Biden is currently considering, according to the Post. Biden has long been seen as unwilling to expand the court.

10 Likes

This is a joke, right? Are there no grownups in the room in the Republican Party?

Republicans in 2020 ran without a platform. Their agenda was Donald Trump. This year there is an official party document that’s written how Trump talks.

No, really. Not even full sentences, and all in caps.

https://wgntv.com/news/republican-national-convention-milwaukee/2024-gop-platform-is-written-how-trump-talks/

10 Likes

and all in bullet points. lol.

6 Likes

By the way, making cities “beautiful” is far-right code for banning modernist architecture.

6 Likes

11 Likes
11 Likes

Buckle up, it’s just starting. After the RNC, I suspect there are more than a few folks fired up to do stupid things.

13 Likes

Latest one day polls.

From Monday.

10 Likes