Buttigieg claims delegate lead in Iowa caucus, with Sanders leading vote, Warren close behind, and Biden in the dust

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/sanders-wins-iowa-caucus-popul.html

6 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-am-i-in-hell

34 Likes

Look for Biden and Bloomy to throw in together, OK BOOMER 2020!

31 Likes

31 Likes

Goodbyden.

20 Likes

This is why CCN sucks, not impartial in the least, they never miss a chance to toss a progressive under the bus.

The New York Times is pulling the same f’ing BS.

28 Likes

Wait. WHAT?

Sanders more votes = Buttigieg more delegates? WTabsoluteF?

60% in, hopefully this will resolve itself one way or the other when 100% is counted. We really don’t need fuckery like that feeding the conspiracy fires.

28 Likes

OH no, Shannon Doherty has Stage 4 cancer? Bummer…

12 Likes

Yes, so does the USA, it’s called tRump cancer.

12 Likes

Well in some cases they literally flip a coin to see who gets a delegate… Or it could be some sort of electoral college thing, where Pete won in areas with more delegates up for grabs.

6 Likes

I think everyone predicted there’d be a slight systemic bias against Bernie when comparing the popular vote to state delegate equivalents.
Which is basically what you described there and what we’re seeing.

EDIT: like the Electoral College is affirmative action for idiots.

14 Likes

Looks like reporting on the demise of the Warren campaign was a bit premature. Also too, it looks like Joe Biden may have been getting a little too much favorable coverage for the actual strength of his candidacy to justify. Time will tell.

14 Likes

Since Iowa and New Hampshire are really really white and Biden dominates among non-whites, I regrettably strongly suspect you’re wrong.

5 Likes

Strap in… It’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

22 Likes

Roger That!

9 Likes

I don’t know how credible the reported numbers are at this stage, but this could actually happen legitimately. This is because (a) the walking caucus is a form of “single transferable vote” and (b) viability, and therefore delegate allocation, is determined by precinct. Biden’s support was apparently close enough to the 15% cutoff that he would have became nonviable in many precincts, and his supporters might well have moved more to Pete as their 2nd choice than to Bernie.

I explained how this could happen in a post in the main election thread, though there it was under the assumption that Pete’s support was the one that was only marginally viable and his numbers transferred to Joe.

There is an old mathematical theorem due to economist Ken Arrow which asserts roughly that all social choice systems are crap, and as someone who teaches this stuff it is interesting (though sometimes disheartening) to see theoretical problems reveal themselves in the real world.

13 Likes

So Sanders + Warren got about 43% of the delegates. That’s not too shabby for the Progressives.

21 Likes

The Third-Way establishment must be pissing their pants seeing Uncle Joe’s dismal performance in a conservative-leaning 90% white state. I love it.

22 Likes

Wow, that hed is bad even for the NYT. Usually that’s the kind of clumsy stuff you see from Politico or The Hill.

13 Likes

Go, Bernie, go!

16 Likes