Elections 2023 and 2024

I don’t know if most people realize that Texas was a purple state not all that long ago. Ann Richards was governor in the mid 90s, and if George W Bush wasn’t such an affable guy and didn’t have the last name Bush, she probably would have been re-elected.

20 Likes

As far as the electorate goes it still is very much a purple state—in fact the voters who identify as Democrats narrowly outnumber the voters who identify as Republicans. It just doesn’t seem that way because of all the gerrymandering and other election fuckery the state has been pulling to keep Republicans in power.

15 Likes

It’s refreshing to see a couple of normal people having a frank conversation about Trumpism on network tv. Not comforting, really, but refreshing. Just a warning.

Clip 1: The previous attempts and future plans to block certification of elections should be the biggest story in the news between now and election day. People should be sick of hearing about it by then, so when officials try it everyone not trying to shut down elections on authoritarian principle says, “Just shut the f*** up and do your job.”

I feel like there is a cut at 1:56. I wish I could hear Maddow get nerdy with the history of assassination attempts. Probably cut for time.

Clip 2: :+1:

Clip 3: From Russia with Lev sounds like it’s going to be good.

I don’t normally watch late night comedy interviews, but I’m glad I watched this one.

Edited for gratuitous use of “holy crap”

13 Likes
4 Likes

Holy crap, just when you think he can’t stoop any lower he posts this.

The original photo is Montel Williams, Kamala, and Montel’s daughter.

Remember the good old days when something like this would cause a candidate to step down and never be seen again.

16 Likes

18 Likes

12 Likes

Caveat: I am no fan of Steve Ballmer.
But.
The wilful stupidity of people like Vance goes well beyond useful idiocy with this “still gonna” bs and lumping a bunch of disparate legals in the same MAGA-basket. And discrete, mitigating details are never what fascists are good at.

Using his extremely elevated public platform, Vance shows himself to be an accelerationist calling for race war, issuing a call to arms for stochastic terrorists willing to do MAGA dirty work, if not also Putin’s bidding.

Lordamercy.

ETA: @chgoliz —> cocacola.gif

16 Likes

Also… obligatory…

ballmer-developers

11 Likes
17 Likes

10 Likes

black and white film GIF

Always, every time with these asshats.

Ah, sometimes I grow so tired
But I know I’ve got one thing I got to do
Ramble on VOTE
And now’s the time, the time is now
To sing my song
I’m goin’ 'round the world, I got to find my girl
On my way
I’ve been this way ten years to the day
Ramble on
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams

11 Likes

(I posted this in another thread so I have to make it different.)

10 Likes

Nobody cared when he did it with Russia.

10 Likes

God Damn It Season 1 Episode 9 GIF by On Becoming A God in Central Florida

12 Likes

Remember kids…

11 Likes

It’s a good reminder for his base, but I’m sure we’ll still get a handful of cases of people trying to vote for him twice (again).

13 Likes

So does this mean that he personally intends to vote illegally, or is the projection just for Republicans in general? How personal of a crime is he confessing here?

7 Likes
13 Likes

yes, please!

13 Likes