Elections 2023 and 2024

I used to teach an Information Design class. I used this image in the introductory slideshow as a case study in how poor information design changed the course of human history.

Yes, most people were able to figure it out. But most isn’t good enough when you’re talking about something riding on margins this thin…

9 Likes

i really admire oregon’s vote primarily by mail system. scantron type forms plus a detailed voter guide, and plenty of time to think through the options

ga’s seems really good from an accessibility standpoint though. bubble forms usually require assistance if you have vision or limb troubles. or, if english isn’t a person’s first language. having an electronic “meditator” can really help cover those gaps

4 Likes

and wasn’t there an issue about the paper not always being aligned? so that, unless you were looking especially closely, the paper could be a half bubble offset? ( going by memory here … )

5 Likes

Also the issue of if your hand strength was not up to punching through the paper, or you failed to pay sufficient attention to whether you did or not. Hence “dimpled” and “hanging” chads. Lord, that’s a PTSD triggering phrase!!

6 Likes

AFAICR the main thing was just that people who weren’t paying close attention assumed “second name listed = second hole in the column.” Even if 1% of people who intended to vote for Gore in Palm Beach County made that mistake it would have far more than enough to swing the election results.

5 Likes

Tonight Show Agree GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We have a multilingual county, so there are several languages people can get their ballots in…

4 Likes
12 Likes

+1 on the accessibility considerations.

• Use the computer to display the information (in a larger font if requested, in a different language if necessary, as audio for people with a hearing impairment, etc.) This could let any group request (well ahead of the election) that the information be translated into a specific language and that translation validated for fidelity with the official wording without having to print a ton of ballots in many languages.
  • Let users make selections using a touch screen (so if someone has say arthritis, they can tap a big region on the screen rather than pressing a smaller button.)
  • Once the voter has made their selections, the computer can print out the ballot using nice clear letters / symbols / QR code or some other easily machine-readable format.
  • After the voter checks what the computer printed they submit the ballot to the ballot box. The preliminary total comes from the ballot box scanning the Scantron dots and/or the QR code. Recounts can be done manually by reading the human-readable text.
2 Likes

QR codes are fine for providing voters with a URL to verify that their vote was counted, but for maximum transparency it’s best if a human being can visually verify the part of a printed ballot that the machine will actually be scanning to tally its results.

8 Likes

Ours do that. I can check that it’s recorded my vote prior to printing, and then after it’s printed.

4 Likes

Coffman’s message to Trump: “Bring it on. Come here. I’m excited for you to come here so I could show you that the narrative that is being presented nationally about this city isn’t true, that there are no apartment complexes under gang control, that the city’s not under gang control, Venezuelan gang control.”

This should be interesting…

9 Likes

Depending on where you are in Indiana, you get no printout or anything to take with you except the “I voted” sticker. I moved counties and at least now this new county follows the proper procedure you’ve listed, but I’ve felt the pit in the stomach from voting and watching my ‘ballot’ disappear on the screen and being told ‘that’s it, goodbye, you’re done’.

Shocked Parks And Recreation GIF

5 Likes

We have a choice coming up, people:

15 Likes
10 Likes

As if TFG would actually visit an apartment complex, or any of the other places he imagines to be controlled by gangs of violent immigrants.

4 Likes

That does it, I’m changing my vote to the only candidate willing to save flavored vaping.

Also, he still doesn’t understand how easy it is to fact check him.

8 Likes

Why would someone trying to quit cigarettes need a flavored vape? Aren’t they just looking for a slightly-safer way to get a nicotine hit? It’s not like most smokers are using flavored tobacco.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I suspect many (most?) flavored vape users are too young to vote :grimacing:

Finally, someone is standing up for the real victims here, those poor, defenseless tobacco corporations.

3 Likes

I still maintain he’s trying to make it 1987 again.

5 Likes