Elections 2023 and 2024

7 Likes

Key staffers exit Mark Robinson campaign for NC governor in wake of report about online posts

Conrad Pogorzelski III, general consultant and senior advisor; Chris Rodriguez, campaign manager; Heather Whillier, finance director; and Jason Rizk, deputy campaign manager “have stepped down from their roles” with the campaign, a news release said just after 5 p.m.

8 Likes

Yeah, democrat in name only sounds accurate with that guy. He and the rest of his city council banned the display of pride flags on city property last year.

15 Likes

I’m sure it’s just an innocent mistake, right?

16 Likes

Department won’t provide election security after sheriff’s posts about Harris yard signs

RAVENNA, Ohio (AP) — A local Ohio elections board says the county sheriff’s department will not be used for election security following a social media post by the sheriff saying people with Kamala Harris yard signs should have their addresses recorded so that immigrants can be sent to live with them if the Democratic vice president wins the November election.

In a statement on the Portage County Democrats’ Facebook page, county board of elections chair Randi Clites said members voted 3-1 Friday to remove the sheriff’s department from providing security during in-person absentee voting.

Clites cited public comments indicating “perceived intimidation by our sheriff against certain voters” and the need to “make sure every voter in Portage County feels safe casting their ballot for any candidate they choose.”

A Ravenna Record-Courier story on the Akron Beacon Journal site reported that a day earlier, about 150 people crowded into a room at the Kent United Church of Christ for a meeting sponsored by the NAACP of Portage County, many expressing fear about the Sept. 13 comments.

“I believe walking into a voting location where a sheriff deputy can be seen may discourage voters from entering,” Clites said. The board is looking at using private security already in place at the administration building or having Ravenna police provide security, Clites said.

Portage County Sheriff Bruce Zuchowski posted a screenshot of a Fox News segment criticizing President Joe Biden and Harris over immigration. Likening people in the U.S. illegally to “human locusts,” he suggested recording addresses of people with Harris yard signs so when migrants need places to live “we’ll already have the addresses of their New families … who supported their arrival!”

Local Democrats filed complaints with the Ohio secretary of state and other agencies, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio accused Zuchowski of an unconstitutional “impermissible threat” against residents who want to display political yard signs. Republican Gov. Mike DeWine called the comments “unfortunate” and “not helpful.” The secretary of state’s office said the comments didn’t violate election laws and it didn’t plan any action.

Zuchowski, a Republican supporter of former President Donald Trump, said in a follow-up post last week that his comments “may have been a little misinterpreted??" He said, however, that while voters can choose whomever they want for president, they “have to accept responsibility for their actions.”

A message seeking comment was sent Sunday to Zuchowski, who spent 26 years with the Ohio State Highway Patrol and was a part-time deputy sheriff before winning the top job in 2020. He is running for reelection as the chief law enforcement officer of the northeast Ohio county about an hour outside of Cleveland.

12 Likes

And so begin the shenanigans. I wonder how many more of these “errors” will be arriving in the coming weeks, and how much fuckery will be going on behind the scenes where we’re not even aware of it. I feel optimistic (if not certain) Harris has enough votes to win the popular vote, but thanks to the electoral college and MAGA goons in positions of power, that doesn’t give me the comfort it ought to.

12 Likes
15 Likes
4 Likes

Serial numbers, he has their serial numbers.

“So yes to mass deportation, even of women and children,” he continued. “You put one wrong person onto a bus or onto an airplane, and your radical left lunatics will try and make it sound like the worst thing that’s ever happened.”

Trump said that he would work with local authorities to round up immigrants by “serial numbers.”

“But we’re getting the criminals out, and we’re going to do that fast, and we know who they are, and the local police know their names, and they know their serial numbers,” he insisted. “They know everything about them.”

16 Likes

Gee, i wonder where he got that idea?

18 Likes

It’s incredible that he or anyone else would even consider a Trump ticket in 2028… if he’s still alive then, he will be 12 years older than he was when he broke the record for “oldest person ever elected President.” And the guy who set that record before Trump wasn not in a good place: Reagan’s senility was an open secret (and running joke) for years before it was revealed he had Alzheimer’s. To say nothing of how the GOP takes every opportunity to point out that Biden isn’t as sharp and spry as he used to be.

7 Likes

16 Likes

Not to mention that in that scenario he would have already lost two elections in a row. Even he must understand that that kind of track record might not be appealing to a lot of primary voters.

But then again, the man’s ego and mendacity know no bounds, so I wouldn’t take him at his word that he wouldn’t try running again.

6 Likes

17 Likes

That sheriff that wanted addresses of Harris supporters, he won’t be providing election intimidation or security as he called it.

13 Likes

Um, lost?

Wouldn’t he be the most popular candidate ever by winning 3 elections?

2 Likes

So that story is also a reminder of something we should all be aware of: election day is already here for many thousands of Americans. A lot of states started mailing out their absentee ballots last week, including all ballots that are for overseas voters. Absentee ballots have already been mailed in key swing states like North Carolina, Michigan and Wisconsin. The time to ensure that people get motivated and actually fill out and turn in those ballots is now.

14 Likes

not to be outdone, florida-da has already sent out ballots naming the Democratic VP candidate as “Tom” Walz. :man_facepalming:t2:

18 Likes

I just heard a random but interesting factoid: once Stein beats Robinson in the NC Governor’s race (that’s right, I’m not afraid to jinx it) he will become the third currently-sitting Jewish governor named Josh.

6 Likes

We use paper ballots in WA, but it’s 100% vote by mail and has been for as long as I’ve lived here. It’s great.

7 Likes