Elections 2023 and 2024

so you’re saying … “only in god’s name would someone pick up a live rattlesnake.” :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Also…

2 Likes

https://archive.ph/2RpmG

3 Likes

A reminder that local elections matter, too, and that those with wealth and power know this…

6 Likes

One candidate is old and makes verbal flubs.

The other candidate is old, makes verbal flubs, faces 91 felony counts and wants to be a dictator.

If you focus only on the age and the verbal flubs, the two candidates are about the same, right? In fact, the one who doesn’t face 91 felony counts has a brain that’s three years older than the other one, so the “younger” guy is better, right?

Gaffes are momentary mistakes. Major policies and long-term behavior are much more important ways to measure our politicians.

Where do they stand on abortion? On immigration? On confronting foreign dictators? On prescription drug prices?

These are important issues, but they’re often complicated. Covering them might force the news media to interview experts, read reports and study statistics. Gaffes, on the other hand, are gifts to lazy journalists. Just catch a politician in a gaffe and show it every hour for a full day. No research required.

15 Likes

Great!

Now pass the equality bill. The Gov will sign it.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Chalk up another one. Still nervous as hell, but the wins are piling up.

8 Likes

If only she would have endorsed the orange guy.

Republicans just don’t learn, but maybe she was still a Democrat? I have an almost 99% Endorsement Success Rate in Primaries, and a very good number in the General Elections, as well, but just watched this very foolish woman, Mazi Melesa Pilip, running in a race where she didn’t endorse me and tried to “straddle the fence,” when she would have easily WON if she understood anything about MODERN DAY politics in America. MAGA, WHICH IS MOST OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, STAYED HOME - AND IT ALWAYS WILL, UNLESS IT IS TREATED WITH THE RESPECT THAT IT DESERVES. I STAYED OUT OF THE RACE, “I WANT TO BE LOVED!” GIVE US A REAL CANDIDATE IN THE DISTRICT FOR NOVEMBER. SUOZZI, I KNOW HIM WELL, CAN BE EASILY BEATEN!

1 Like
8 Likes

3 Likes

The “take machine”?

1 Like

They are trying to make it sound like it was a nailbiter. He won by 8 points. Not a landslide, maybe, but certainly not that close. He is more centrist/conservative (in the old-fashioned sense of the word) than most of the Dems, but he is running in a more conservative district. It only makes sense. “He was unique” is not really a thing. Every candidate in every race is unique, and in the smaller races that is even more true. I grow so tired of the media trying to downplay the strength of the Dem positions to play up the “horserace” aspect of the elections. People hate the fucking fascist ass-clowns! Just put that out there and let it be, for the love of all that is holy!

ETA:

ABC does a better job covering this.

It was the kind of race the party had no excuse to lose – and in the end, the Democrat won with relative comfort.

Even including this timely warning

Yet those same truths that could easily lead the party into a misleading complacency.

We’ll take it for now, but the work continues.

11 Likes

I’ve said this before, but I haven’t seen any sign of this misleading complacency anywhere.

Rather, whenever something positive happens for Democrats - a legislative success, a court decision going their way, a win in an election - the media commenters and internet people immediately start hand-wringing about complancency.

It’s like all these people believe that if they, and the voters, aren’t panicking constantly, they’re complacent and the Republicans are somehow going to win at everything forever. From my point of view over here in Europe, it seems frankly unhealthy, a sign of some collective trauma or something. :thinking:

4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Marge cleared up what happened.

On losing NY03 - George Santos’ seat:

1. Santos wasn’t convicted and he should not have been expelled last year. He was a solid R vote.

2. Mazi Pilip was a horrible candidate. She was a registered Democrat and hated Trump, that’s a nonstarter in every Republican race in the country and should be the rule.

3. Suozzi was a former Congressman with high name recognition who ran as a mod Dem against Dem open border policies and massively outspent Republicans in that race in a D+8 district.

This was not a win for Democrats by any measure, it was another avoidable screw up by Republicans.

Republicans need to stop playing identity politics, stop fighting each other, and fight like hell against the Communist Democrats!!

1 Like

[Insert facepalm emoji here]

5 Likes