Eliza Dushku: I worked at CBS. I didn’t want to be sexually harassed. I was fired

This is well worth reading…

The most salient points to me are:

1. Even in a case with overwhelming video evidence unintentionally released to the survivor’s counsel, the execs stood by the executive producer Glenn Gordon Caron’s firing of her at the behest of the perpetrator even though they claimed they thought he lacked the authority. Imagine what they’d do to abuse survivors to whom they don’t accidentally pony up the evidence.

2. All the exact same tired bullshit excuses were trotted out by the people defending Michael Weatherly’s sexual harassment and retaliatory bullying including accessory Caron’s pointing to her being attractive by saying, “What does [Eliza] expect, she was in Maxim.”

3. Four years after Cosby, two years after Weinstein, and all the Me Too revelations, little has changed in the entertainment business with showrunners and executives still eager and willing to protect abusers and punish abuse survivors. If it hasn’t changed in the industry publicly exposed with the most visible and numerous cases, how can it have changed for other industries? Weatherly and Caron should never work in show business again but because CBS has an investment in Weatherly they’re willing to continue to enable his predatory behavior, being resistant to even putting a minder to watch him. It’s only a matter of time before he targets someone else if he hasn’t already. I wonder how the numerous other high-profile stars working for CBS feel about that, and in particular whether the men among them who claim to support the Me Too movement are willing to put their money where their mouths are.

4. CBS renewed this critically lukewarm show and its entitled sexually harassing piece of shit expensive legal liability dudebro lead for a third season because it gets decent ratings, allowing his career to continue to ascend while firing the woman he targeted.

14 Likes

Dushku is a talented actor, and I’m deeply sorry that this happened to her.

10 Likes

When I see Glenn Gordon Caron’s name, I think of his first big deal way-back-when, “Moonlighting” (which was notorious/famous for its production problems, now I recall).

As reported, this is just more asshole behavior being accepted as a price of doing business. Do they have this kind of thing built in as a budget line item? Because it’s unfair treatment and also nonsensical in business terms: They signed Dushku up for further episodes beyond what she was first signed up to do, and then fired her for complaining about lousy treatment. So they liked what she was doing and thought she added value to the show, but they ditched her so someone can make sex jokes in the workplace at her expense. Wtf are you there to do, rly?

6 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.