Elizabeth Holmes's sentence was reduced, again

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/07/elizabeth-holmess-sentence-was-reduced-again.html

6 Likes

Has she been using her time in the pokey to body-build?

4 Likes

Blinking rehab.

12 Likes

Quick math here. 135 months is 11.25 years. Mandatory 85% of 11.25 is 9.5625 years. 135 months - 2 years (24 months) - 4 months = 107 months, or 8.916666 years. So…how? Unless the “2 years” was less than?

The latest reduction of Holmes’s sentence still meets federal sentencing guidelines. Those guidelines mandate that people convicted of federal offenses must serve at least 85% of their sentence, regardless of reductions for good behavior.

9 Likes

If she’s released to a halfway house at 8.9 years, her 6 months there would still count toward the 9.5.

2 Likes

If this is applied equitably to other inmates; I’m okay with that.

But I suspect it’s not.

8 Likes

I think it might be, actually. I know when the initial 2 year reduction was applied, that was standard. Basically, they start out by reducing your sentence based on presumed good behavior, and then if you fuck up, they’ll start adding it back. Of course, I’m sure what the prison considers a “fuck up” is going to be drastically different for Holmes than for poor inmates of color, but … on paper, she got the same treatment as other inmates. I don’t know about this latest reduction.

8 Likes

However reduced her time in prison is, I have no doubt that once she’s out she’ll be back to grifting in no time at all. No term length can deter someone who’s simultaneously so inherently bent and so inherently confident in their privilege.

5 Likes

How sure are we about the number of people who died because of her phony tests?

2 Likes

One would like to think it would deter investors from falling for it…but given for instance how long Musk has been able to promise the exact same things, it doesn’t seem that likely. :frowning:

1 Like

That’s what our legal system is, pretty much, in a nutshell. Unless you are white and wealthy. Holmes got due process and the whole 9 yards, and in a very real sense justice worked in her case. Working class Black Americans not so much… How many end up sitting in jail, sometimes for YEARS without so much as 5 minutes in front of a judge. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.