Elizabeth Warren silenced by 100% of GOP Senate for reading Coretta Scott King's words on Jeff Sessions

As if we didn’t have the object-lesson that the Democrats on Capitol Hill are basically just powerless by-standers with the DeVos vote earlier in the day, McConnell was kind enough to put on an exclamation point.

7 Likes

That would be way cooler. What are the current dueling laws on the books in TN and DC? Maybe she should have brought out her dueling glove and given Mitch the ol’ glove slap.

Would also like to see a senator go up and grab sessions by the balls during questioning and ask if unwanted grabbing of the genitals counts as sexual assault.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s interesting how the right is always screaming about “snowflakes”, but they can’t take any criticism.

I’ve noticed he hasn’t replied back. Did we hurt his feelings? Did he go to a safe space to watch Faux News and read Infowars and Brietbart?

They have done great things for Civil Rights the last 70 years! They’ve reminded us progressives why we need to keep fighting for them!

Well duh! Informed populace equals lose of power for TGOP. Stupid populace equals “Christian” paradise for TGOP.

I’ll go down fighting.

Only comfort I’m concerned about is how well the straight jacket fits for Drumpf and the rest of the TGOP.

Exactly.

13 Likes

Want to know what else is crazy to me? Elizabeth Warren has a 27% DISAPPROVAL rating in Mass.
I don’t even understand how that’s possible. Who are these people?

ETA Polling:
https://morningconsult.com/senate-approval-bernie-rubio-cruz/

3 Likes

Sounds like you can’t criticize a senator for anything. Might as well not bother with the hearing at all if the candidate is a Senator.

(Who am I kidding? DeVos already showed that the hearings are all a waste of everyone’s time anyway)

17 Likes

Just to be clear, your notion is that the rule against impugning a fellow Senator is properly applied in silencing critique of that Senator’s fitness for a nomination.

My notion is that Mitch McConnell abused the Senate’s rules, just as Jeff Sessions abused his office to intimidate elderly ladies trying to vote.

18 Likes
23 Likes

It is times like this that put me in mind of seeing polls where 26% of respondents said they believe in real vampires.

I learned that the polling floor for truly crazy shit is higher than you’d think.

8 Likes

Um, the alt key is -below- the caps lock key.

17 Likes

Calm down, honey. We’re only taking about the fate of democracy.

22 Likes

Ted Kennedy and CSK wrote letters in 1986 about then nominee Sessions. They were in the Senate Record.

It charms me to know my Senator has so rustled your Jimmies by reading something out loud.

I am going to go give her one hundred american dollars, right now. For you.

31 Likes

How can one conduct a confirmation hearing without being free to potentially mention the candidate’s flaws?

17 Likes

She wasn’t impugning him. The Senate Record contailed letters by a senator and prominent citizen about how sessions had conducted himself at work, in 1986. She was reading from the record, certainly to cast light on the low opinion many hold of him, but she was not the author of those words, nor were they from a source other than the record of the US Senate, itself.

I hear Barbara Streisand has had some effect on the situation.

11 Likes

Looking into it is also (and primarily) the job of the Senate, but apparently debate on that issue is not to be allowed.

1 Like

Right, because they break rules as part of the fight against the misogynistic racist homophobic patriarchy.

When a conservative breaks the rules THEY ARE MISOGYNISTIC PATRIARCH RACISTS HOMOPHOBES!

Right, because they do it in support of the misogynistic racist homophobic patriarchy.

30 Likes

Quoting the rule at me is self-defeating.

As others have pointed out many times, this is an obscure rule that is broken every day; every time someone criticizes another Senator, they are breaking that rule. Censuring and silencing a senator for correctly pointing out that the subject of their hearing has been historically considered too racist for their post is exactly what needs to be said on the Senate floor.

31 Likes

Aren’t you cute, bringing up the safety pins that some people wear to remind oppressed people that they’re on their side. As if that’s somehow a bad thing.

29 Likes

True. Unfortunately…

6 Likes

Since the GOP Senators don’t give a toss and would happily be confirming Charles Manson as AG if Trump had nominated him, the benefit here is that those of us who are not Senators have had further visibility of Sessions’ character, thanks to McConnell amplifying Warren’s message so nicely.

13 Likes

How did Warren get this reaction from you? Just by reading something out loud? I mean, all Sessions did was talk out loud, and your straw-old-laides heard him.

I mean what sort of person has an emotional reaction to the words of people more powerful than them?

13 Likes