Elon Musk confirms Twitter has tortious interference claims against activist groups calling for advertiser boycotts

Maybe there is some sort of contractual obligation is involved? He might be excited about that, having just learned about binding contracts a couple of weeks ago

18 Likes

Seriously. When I was still in the US, I very briefly worked at a place where you had to go through a manned metal detector to get into the building, for the same reason.

6 Likes

I remember a movie about that too. I guess some people saw the self-driving cab and three-breasted prostitute and didn’t realize it was a dystopia…seems to happen a lot these days. :frowning:

15 Likes

I dunno. Memes is like half of what i use the internet for

7 Likes

That’s how they get ya.

9 Likes

SecondaryNeighboringAmazondolphin-size_restricted

11 Likes

Musk’s stubborn insistence that law and legal procedure should not get in the way of his larger socio-economic ambitions is indeed a foolish attitude. That tunnel vision is as personally perilous to him as is (to give a related example) the stubborn insistence on the part of some Americans that larger socio-economic agendas have no relevance to law and legal procedure is a peril to liberal democracy.

In both cases – at least for those more concerned with a healthy independent judiciary than with proving themselves the “smartest person in the room” – the wise approach when looking at specific cases is to consider both the function of the law as written and the nature and circumstances of its application. This is especially important at a time in the U.S. when rich and/or politically powerful fascists are actively trying to politicise the justice system.

8 Likes

Been there, done exactly that. A very happy memory.

11 Likes

Revealed Preference Theory basically says that you can tell what people want by what they spend their money on. (I know, it’s kind of a “well, duh!” theory, but apparently it was what passed for groundbreaking in economics in the 1930s.)

Musk could (by his own admission) solve world hunger. He could buy a large island and live there on the interest in luxury for the rest of his life, with enough left over for approximately a million more lifetimes. He could fund research, universities, a new Nobel Prize. On charity, on social reform, on infrastructure, on technology which isn’t his fantasies from when he was eight years old and reading Omni.

But, as the Old English saying went, a man shows who he is when he can do whatever he wants.

And revealed preference shows that Elon Musk would spend his entire fortune, more than anyone else has amassed ever before on the entire planet, on the goal of stopping people from teasing him on the internet.

24 Likes

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Bravo

15 Likes

So i wonder if he’s supporting democrats in Republican dominated state legislatures? I’m guessing not…

14 Likes

He can do that for free. He paid $44B to try to force everyone to listen to it.

18 Likes

The best part of that is that they’re asking people to come back, but only for the critical tasks that they know about.

With that much of the rank and file gone, the odds are good that there’s some unknown critical path that goes through an unmarked server in the basement, until someone unplugs it or something.

Or if it’s now nobody’s job to update the registration on twitter.com, that works too.

eta: Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2023-01-21T16:28:17Z :smiley:

18 Likes

Does this mean his acquisition of Twitter can now be considered an illegal $44b campaign contribution to the Republican party?

17 Likes

SSL Cert expires Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:59:59 GMT, which happens even sooner

11 Likes

I’m sure that there will be all kinds of emails and reminders sent to the role accounts.

Of course, when you fire several levels all at once, there might not have been a proper hand-off and re-assignment. And they won’t do a proper archive and purge of terminated employee accounts, so the notices won’t bounce…

“Some server in IT keeps playing a cloister bell sound, and no one knows why!”

14 Likes

Twitter only has room for one type of activist.

14 Likes

He no doubt works 80 hours a week, in person, at each of his five CEO jobs :thinking:

15 Likes

6zx3lm

13 Likes

Should I be pleasantly surprised, or quietly ashamed, that my character is “likely to be eaten by a grue”?

I’m not sure if that’s good, morally mediocre, or ‘trivial conversion to authoritarian henchman under different circumstances’.

3 Likes