Elon Musk exposed himself to SpaceX employee and paid her $250,000 to keep her mouth shut

Nope. According to the interview with Elon’s first wife that’s making the rounds again, he was an arrogant, misogynistic, power-mad asshole pretty much from day one:

So please, let’s not put the blame on any woman he’s dated; that only gives him deniability and excuses. The only one truly responsible for Elon’s behavior is Elon himself.

37 Likes

Money doesn’t spoil a person’s character as such - it throws it into sharp relief.
There are a lot of assholes out there who don’t act like the assholes they are because they literally can’t afford it, one way or another.
And this asshole can.

20 Likes

it’s not really like we can do a/b testing. ( prince and the pauper not withstanding. )

better to just assume power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. then do our best to tax wealth like his out of existence. it’s surely not doing anyone any good. probably not even him. ( if there even is still a person underneath alll that cash )

6 Likes

Must admit to being surprised when the Calamity Capsule lifted off on time (give or plus a couple of years) and didn’t cement Boeing’s reputation by exploding on the pad.

3 Likes

That’s a euphemism, right?

3 Likes

Oh they act like assholes. But their antics might make the police blotter, not the front page.

7 Likes

MuskyGate sounds like it could be referring to something else. Though Musky Gates is a Bond villainess who’s based on a conglomeration of Bill and Elon.

1 Like

The Constitution doesn’t prohibit banishment, Elmer.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what she has to do with any of this. Are you suggesting that she encouraged him to expose himself?

6 Likes

Maybe… a whole group of people, paid by the public, drawing on a wide set of expertise from universities across the world… but that would never work. No dumb government every got a man into space, much less to another planet… /s

Are you kidding me? WTF, dude. She’s a woman, not a god damn viper… sheesh.

I mean, he grew up in a segregationist state, FFS.

But it’s Amber HEARD… everyone knows she’s the current most evil woman in the world! She hurted Johnny “Scissorhands”!!! /s :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

I don’t think the first part necessarily has anything to do with the second part. Plenty of people grow up in places with unjust governments and turn out just fine, especially if they choose to leave those places. My Brother-in-Law also emigrated from South Africa and he’s a great guy.

Sometimes assholes are just assholes.

6 Likes

I’ve seen him called Captain Apartheid. Given the lawsuits about his work environments and black people - maybe more apt than Pedo Guy. But his personality and actions are a target rich environment. A basket of deplorablities.

12 Likes

Yeah. It really does. Racial states also have a strong tendency towards forms of misogyny.

I agree. Musk’s father ran an emerald mine and was a part of the power structure that enforced segregation in that country as a result. And yes, people can turn out fine even in those circumstances, BUT Musk CLEARLY did not… this has nothing to do with anyone else from SA, but with Musk - a person who grew up in privilege that came from the direct oppression of others.

No one exists in a vacuum, and the ability of some to over come their childhood indoctrination doesn’t most everyone does.

10 Likes

How could it possibly be that this man, famous for hoarding so much money that he could save entire countries worth of lives without any personal inconvenience, has turned out to be a dick? I wonder who or what in his past could explain such an unprecedented result. :thinking:

11 Likes

Ok, but I read your quote “I mean, he grew up in a segregationist state, FFS.” as well as your quote above, as basically meaning “what do you expect, given the circumstances of his childhood?” And that sounds to me a lot like excusing or shifting some of the blame for his current behavior, which is clearly inexcusable no matter what his childhood experiences may be.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I admit to liking him, 5-10 years ago, when he was disrupting the auto industry by getting electric cars on the road. I may have been swayed partly by the MCU basing their Tony Stark partly on him. That’s a really stupid reason to like somebody, as people are flesh and blood, not four color heroes. But, perhaps Comics get it right that most billionaire characters are supervillains, closer to Lex Luthor and Norman Osborn than heroes.

3 Likes

You’ve got to hand it to him. He’s only been a Republican for a day and he’s already sexually assaulted someone.

21 Likes

When you put in 16 hour days as a “corporate genius”, you can get a lot of groping in. /s

1 Like

You realize that Tony Stark wasn’t the good guy, right? Consider that he created or at least enabled nearly all the villains he fought:

Iron Man: Obadiah Stane had enough of taking Stark’s shit and used Stark’s design to build a deadly weapon. Also, baddies from around the world love using Stark weapons to commit terror.

Iron Man 2: Ivan Vanko’s dad was betrayed by Stark’s dad and was out for revenge. Stark then gives him a suggestion on how to make his electric whip design more powerful, which Vanko later implements.

Iron Man 3: Tony has a hookup with evil scientist Maya Hansen and gives her advice on how to make the Extremis treatment work. He also rudely rejects scientist Aldrich Killian who goes on to hold a big grudge.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Despite being explicitly warned about the dangers, Stark created Ultron, who destroyed a city and quite nearly the whole earth.

Captain America: Civil War: The destruction of Sokovia caused by Stark radicalizes the main villain of the film.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Stark’s new hovercarrier design is nearly used to wipe out millions of Americans

Spiderman: Homecoming: Stark and his lackey won’t listen to the warnings of Peter Parker and nearly contribute a planeload of weapons to an arms dealer as a result. Their ineptitude causes a huge plane to crash in NYC, which miraculously doesn’t kill anyone.

Spiderman: Far From Home: (Even after death the man is causing trouble!) Stark decides to bequeath an unimaginably dangerous fleet of murderbots to a teenager, which ends up in the hands of another scientist that Stark managed to piss off.

I’m sure I’m missing some. But the point is clear: generally the world is much safer without the guy.

12 Likes