Elon Musk loses $100 billion as Tesla's share price continues to sink

Honestly, that sounds far too clever for that particular idiot.

8 Likes

Of course he’s not clever enough. But some accountant could have sold the scheme, and he’s the sort to do it because cheating on taxes give rich assholes warm fuzzies.

10 Likes

We need to look for some synergy here. Let’s convince Elon to buy Fox News.

17 Likes

There are a lot of Kias on the road where I live. The Kia Soul is especially easy to pick out because of its distinctive high-visibility taillights. I wouldn’t call them “second tier” :thinking:

4 Likes

A propos Kia:

10 Likes

Aaaaand here it is:

15 Likes

Kia is a successful car company. It has a market capitalization (the value of all the stock in the company, ie the price of the stock multiplied by number of shares) of just short of $20 billion. By comparison, Ford has a market cap of $56 billion. So as a company, it is worth a bit more than 1/3rd of what Ford is. Tesla OTOH has a market cap of $574 billion. Let that sink in. The stock market currently thinks that Tesla is worth 10 times as much as Ford, and almost 30 times as much as KIA. That is COMPLETELY crazy and divorced from any kind of reasonable reality that I can imagine, even when you factor in the pension liabilities that Ford has.

26 Likes

Yes.

6 Likes

Aw man, woke activists are wrecking Tesla now! /s

11 Likes

I thought it was the (not-)self-driving system?

6 Likes

Unrelated to the personal reputation of Tony Shart, CEO of the fifth most popular electric car brand around these parts, but relevant to the future of the company and China: I hear a lot of Chinese kids talking about how shit the cars are. Like they dump on him as bad as I do.

Which most techy kids don’t in my experience. A lot of children still think he’s okay.

12 Likes

China is putting a lot into developing their EV industry, and it’s growing fast. Couple that with good old fashioned patriotism and Tesla is suddenly out of style there.

11 Likes

That was my guess also. Tech nationalism is huge with Chinese kids.

Doesn’t bode well for his future…

11 Likes

Wow. I had no idea it was that weird. That’s a huge bubble to be held by a single company.

14 Likes

Someone I know just got a BMW i4 (which I didn’t know existed), and while it’s more comparable in specs to a Tesla 3 than the S, If someone were looking for a luxury EV why spend so much more when you could get one from a car brand that regularly scores top spots on ‘best’ lists for not quite half the price.

9 Likes

BMW has been making electric cars since 2013, the current i3 is one that is in the running for my future car, next to the Fiat 500e. (Link to German article below)

9 Likes

I’m glad to see the i4 because it looks more like a normal car. IMO they saddled both the i3 and i8 with ridiculous styling. As much as I think the i3 is a reasonable car, I don’t think most people spend the premium for a BMW just to end up with something that looks like a Smart car.

6 Likes

Hey! How did you know I drive a Smart Fortwo?!?

11 Likes

I thought you drove a Fnord Fiesta.

16 Likes

Understandable, because I personally am not that smart, definitely not enough for two. And I did let my AADA membership lapse, what with living overseas and all.

Crap, now I have to go dig out my Uncle Albert’s catalog to see if Car Wars had some sort of Tesla coil related weaponry.

10 Likes