Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for $41.39bn in cash

I feel like we are all just watching this dipshit come to the realization that he could be a Bond villain if he wanted too.

6 Likes

I think he came to that realization years ago.

giphy

10 Likes

I’m not using it. I briefly had an account that I deleted years ago. It continues to exist because a lot of other people don’t see it as a problem and continue to use it.

6 Likes

Ignoring who it is, and just looking at the tender offer… this is a very good deal for the shareholders and insiders who have been trying to figure out an exit for twitter for years now. Musk will be taking a company worth around $8 a share off cash and assets valuation and buying it for $42 a share. A company that is $5.5bn in debt being valued at $42 billion.

If it’s a serious tender offer, and if the board vets it and sends it to shareholders, I have no doubt it’ll pass.

1 Like

Elon Musk’s latest launch: An unsolicited Twitter takeover

The deal puts a $43 billion price tag on Twitter – quite a hefty sum for an edit button.

4 Likes

NYT just ran a story saying Musk’s offer is contingent on him getting investors to come up with that 42 billion.

His offer also says…

However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company.

So he bought 9% of a company and then a few days later he realized that?

Come on, who does he think he’s fooling or is he just that dumb?

7 Likes

“My offer is my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder,” Musk added.

It’s just another Musk pump and dump. Gin up the price, then sell off his holdings.

12 Likes

This is a blatant pump and dump scheme.

5 Likes

I guess that answers the question: ‘how could Twitter actually be worse than it is?’

6 Likes

Please do not besmirch the good name of Hank Scorpio. Super villain or not he was actually willing to listen to employee criticism.

15 Likes

Good point. He also had a decent benefits package.

15 Likes

“A chimp will rip off your face and testicles and think nothing of it.” - Roddy McDowell. Probably

5 Likes

You know, I thought it was, but this seems different in the sense that he actually sent a tender offer to the board. At this point, it’s all in writing, and if he were to pump and dump the SEC has a clear paper trail to basically tie him to it perfectly. It’d be the easiest conviction they ever got.

I think it’s worse than a pump and dump scheme. I think he’s actually going to buy twitter.

1 Like

I am speaking generally. We all need to stop using services that are bad actors. And if you have already stopped, or never used them you need to advise others to stop. That simple.

Even moot had rules on 4ch especially dealing with CP. The fact this clown would probably allow it if he could.

5 Likes

It’s not always that simple. Plenty of creatives, for example, depend on social media to get the word out and get around the stranglehold corporations have on creative work. So, you’re saying that someone’s living should be sacrificed for purity. And if they don’t do that, then they can’t criticize the system that they did not create on their own.

The reality is that we’re all complicit in a system that’s completely shot through with brutality. It’s nice and all to take the “moral high ground” and tell others to not use a service that has helped them in one way or another, but not everyone has that luxury…

Unless you’re living on a mountain, consuming nothing made from mass production, completely disconnected from the rest of society, then you have some complicity in the current system. We all do. How about we stop pretending like individuals making choices to just not “sell out” will fix everything and start getting more engaged with the systems and institutions around us to actual fix them together? This constant purity testing helps no one, except people like Musk who benefit off our collective unwillingness to focus on the real problem at hand.

12 Likes

There are many alternatives to Twitter for creatives, all which would become more popular and useful with twitter’s end.

None of which have the reach, though. :woman_shrugging: It matters less for well-established artist who have name recognition and a fan base, but not so much for new artists looking to make a living.

Until the entire ecosystem changes around social media, which no single person’s decisions around social media is going to change, this will continue to be the case.

A few people leaving it as a protest will not do that. :woman_shrugging: And if people aren’t leaving the big social media platforms after the role they played in a near coup on the American government, I’m not sure what is going to prompt that.

10 Likes

This is exactly the argument that conservatives made when they left it for Gab, Gettr, Truth, and any number of other sites. I think they replaced MeWe too.

And frankly, they have larger numbers than the artists who would leave in protest of Elon buying twitter, and even those numbers didn’t do much. Plus, as is traditional for this type of market, any competitors that look like they would remotely have a chance will be bought and brought into twitter before they have an opportunity to compete.

6 Likes

I mean, despite some alternatives, Twitter, Facebook, and Tiktok have an essential monopoly on the social media space…

8 Likes