Elon Musk posts, then deletes conspiracy theory that Nancy Pelosi's husband was fighting with gay prostitute

Musk seems like a Super Genius in much the same vein as Wile E. Coyote is. What does that mean for Twitter? Probably

15 Likes

On the bright side, this could be the thing that revives small-scale print journalism. Of course, it will be hand-printed and published under threat of death, but some really great pamphlets come of those circumstances!

/s

16 Likes

The problem with today’s information infrastructure isn’t that it’s hard to get the truth out there, it’s that the truth is being buried under ever-deeper piles of misinformation.

20 Likes

deleted by poster.

I certainly had no intent to do so. Obviously I don’t communicate well.

2 Likes

Shareholder value. There is a big segment of the American market that wants to be lied to as long as those lies confirm their biases. It’s shortsighted, but it’s baked into capitalism.

5 Likes

I understand it happens. No worries from me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

FTFY.

No. Wile E. Coyote was smarter, actually. Shitweasel Musk just happens to have a lot of money and a loud mouth. (although he’s slightly better at Lying than The Orange Idiot…)

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure they don’t actually believe the conspiracy nonsense, in cases like this. The fiction serves several purposes: to upset the “libs,” and to allow them to have their cake and eat it, too (at least in arguments). I.e. “Your side is actually the violent one. I hope ‘someone’ gets Nancy Pelosi, next time.” No cognitive dissonance because they don’t really believe it was anything other than what it was, but as long as there’s some “doubt” (however manufactured), it allows them to pretend it simply didn’t happen.

A) corporate media is more conservative than everyone pretends it is, b) they’re interested in selling newspapers/advertising now, they’re not thinking that far ahead, and c) they’re all very proud of themselves for displaying “journalistic neutrality” (never mind that they’re completely misunderstanding what that means in a situation where there’s an obvious set of facts that one ‘side’ is ignoring…) - which means anyone willing to make up their own “facts” gets to largely control the conversation.

10 Likes

Having far too many in the fam who are into this and are slowly being pulled out… no, they absolutely believe this stuff. They’re not doing it to “trigger the libs”, they’re doing it because they believe it to be true and think we should be aware of it before voting for them / lauding them /etc. It’d be easier if they were just doing it to get our goat, but they aren’t. They believe it.

4 Likes

This reminds me of all the people who scream about how a certain fast food company with an abbreviation for “chicken” in their name donates to anti-LGBTQ causes, and yet so many of those same people continue to purchase said company’s products.

What if they had a war and nobody came?

Addendum: Even assuming they do, eventually the only faces left to eat will be yours.

4 Likes

It’s a combination of face eating leopards, and the out of control mining robot that consumes literally the entire planet it lives on just to make paper clips.

5 Likes

eventually the leopards start eating each other’s faces as well :pouting_cat:

4 Likes

The conspiracy stuff people obviously believe (to varying degrees). But this? I’m not so sure. More than anything, it’s incredibly convenient for the Republicans. They’ve managed to keep the discussion from being about how someone radicalized online by Qanon conspiracy stuff being pushed by Republican politicians led to him trying to kill a member of congress - instead the media are focused on the crazy things Republicans are saying in response.

If someone holding vaguely left positions did something like this to a Republican, there’d be a never-ending media parade of blaming Democrats and talking about how devastating this was to the Democrats in the mid-terms, despite Democrats not engaging in violent rhetoric or pushing violent conspiracy theories. Republicans are getting to have their cake and eat it too - drive people to stochastic terrorism and then derail the conversation afterwards so they don’t even get the blame for it.

12 Likes

What can we do to get them to start right now?!

2 Likes

It is an oroborus of face eating leopards

3 Likes
3 Likes

The really weird part of that attack on the Pelosis is that DePape is Canadian. He travelled down from British Columbia specifically to carry out that attack. It’s been all over the news up here because the Canadian and US governments have been debating what to do with this clown.

It’s insane that there are more and more Canadian MAGAs. They are literally obsessed with the former leader of a different country with a completely different political system. It’d be like Americans all getting obsessed with the lore of Jean Chrétien.

14 Likes

I could run a scared straight program for MAGA Canadians. They could come fill out this one (1) insurance claim form for something that should have been covered but for some reason they would not pay the provider. So I had to pay $1500 out of pocket and fill out a batshit crazy form to try to recoup it from the insurance company.

5 Likes