Elon throws tantrum, blocks conservative reporter for exposing his wild immigration lies 

Originally published at: Elon throws tantrum, blocks conservative reporter for exposing his wild immigration lies  - Boing Boing

9 Likes

Dead Boys Dont Threaten Me With A Good Time GIF by NETFLIX

28 Likes

Wait, i thought Harris was a threat to democracy for censoring misinformation on social media? Oh, right, this was factual information. That’s bad and must be stopped.
Girl Eye Roll GIF

25 Likes

I mean…it’s just the Great Replacement Theory, put in terms of voting rights. To be honest, treating it as if it’s a good faith argument worthy of investigation was the mistake. Call it out for what it is and move on.

Tired Kamala Harris GIF

33 Likes

Possible solution to Elon’s “dilemma”: Have an opposition party that isn’t in thrall to batshit-racist–fascist-theocratic criminals. Maybe even have a third party, with ranked choice voting, that is relevant and not represented by the likes of Jill Stein.

14 Likes

The Bull Musk Party?

8 Likes

Maybe the Deport Elon Party. It will have a very narrowly focused platform.

17 Likes

He’d never fund that.

7 Likes

And purported result is projection as always:

America then becomes a one-party state and Democracy is over.

Musk and Thiel and the rest of the billionaires’ Yarvin fan club have made their contempt for democracy clear. Putin’s Russia is a more suitable structure for what they want. The techbros are already on to considering which of them will be America’s CEO-king.*

Not only did Elon go into hock for tens of billions to buy a place and turn it into a Nazi bar, but he’s also the kind of dickhead owner who regularly bans anyone who dares disagree with him. Xitter isn’t the only platform in town for micro-blogging, but until journalists and media outlets leave they’re effectively propping it up.

• ETA for reference:

Thiel and Vance – along with Elon Musk, Steve Bannon, Blake Masters, tech entrepreneur David Sacks, Palantir co-founder Joe Lonsdale, Palantir adviser Jacob Helberg, Sequoia Capital’s Doug Leone, blogger Curtis Yarvin, and others in the anti-democracy movement – believe that the only way true libertarians can win in the US is for a Caesar-like figure to wrest power from the US establishment and install a monarchical regime, run like a startup.

21 Likes

I feel like we could get a LOT of small donations from every person who’s been forced to look at a Cybertruck.

13 Likes

Wait so Elon, who famously has said “doesn’t see a need for blocking people” has blocked someone?

I’ve got bad news for him about the platform he’s using then when it comes to blocking people.

11 Likes

I am honestly amazed that this notorious right-wing propaganda outlet would run this kind of fact check. The Washington Examiner isn’t just “conservative,” they’re among the furthest right of any major self-described “news” outlets that I can think of.

10 Likes

Man, this is my big issue since deleting my account and running away from Xitter. And I am flailing about, casting about, for a decent substitute. I know bOING had a discussion going for a while about the exodus:

What’s your take now on the diaspora (such as it is) to Bluesky / Mastodon / Threads / Discord etc.?

Have you found an aggregator/platform for news journalists direct-blogging (macro-, micro-, whichever) that you think has merit?

4 Likes

Journalists are one thing, but I’m especially peeved that when I get the emergency alerts on my phone from local government agencies sending out messages on local wildfire evacuation updates or the “silver alerts” for missing seniors the messages direct me to a Twitter link in order to see the details of the alert. That’s just messed up.

13 Likes

Hang on, isn’t the Emperor of Xitter himself an immigrant?

Confused What The GIF by Sesame Street

Also: I know plenty of immigrants who really like TFG, and vote for him. They very much relate to and prefer rule-by-political-strongman and have said so, to me, IRL. This confirmation bias aside, the emperor’s assumption that all immigrants will fall into the Dem’s camp is already faulty.

ETA: grammar

9 Likes

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

11 Likes

I tried Mastodon and it was never quite what I was looking for. Bluesky feels like Twitter did a long time ago. It doesn’t have everyone I like to follow but there are no ads (for now) and the block function works well. There are easy-to-add aggregated block lists (terfs, nazis) that help too.

There are journalists, but I use it more for entertainment than I do for news.

6 Likes

Nice. An entire system designed to invite you to spam folks who have blocked you…

6 Likes

Ugh.

This outsourcing of government responsibility using a deeply enshittified platform is an externality no one wants to pay. “How can we make our urgent public safety communiques with residents even cheaper (cut overheads! win-win! /s)?”

Put it on Xitter.

Is this the part where I criticize George Orwell for having failed in imagining more captialist-corporate BS in 1984? Like, having Big Brother’s big screen mass comm w the masses, but with more logos and commercial breaks?

ETA: grammar

7 Likes

rubber

glue

5 Likes