Elon Musk strikes deal to buy Twitter

I won’t be holding my breath. A lot of people still think this guy walks on water. I would be surprised to see a mass exodus.

9 Likes

23 Likes

They’ll soon get very bored only talking to one another, though; edge-lords love conflict and adversity.

18 Likes

Why is it that people who wield grotesque amounts of wealth and power are referred to as “oligarchs” when they live in Russia but “billionaire entrepreneurs” when they live in the United States?

31 Likes

Folks that make $30k a year protecting a man-baby billionaire is peak 21st century stuff, you can not make this shit up…

20 Likes

I mean…a lot of white, working class people like Trump because he’s just a regular guy like them. The world hasn’t made sense in a long time, if it ever did.

18 Likes

25 Likes

But let’s call it like it is. They don’t like him because he’s like them. It’s because he says racist and bigoted shit they would like to say, but feel like they can’t. The phenomenon is like they only have to think bigoted and hateful thoughts and those thoughts come spilling out of the mouth of a guy with a huge platform.

See also: Joe Rogaine, McNear Swanson, Etc etc.

16 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 22.59.33

An entertainment industry news source reports on Trump never going back on Twitter?

Yeah, it fits the timeline.

3 Likes

The racism is definitely a factor, but I’ve talked to some of these people. They honestly think he’s just a regular guy. Some of them do, anyway. Some think he’s a genius businessman, and I’m not sure which of those two is more implausible, but whatever. Some people, which also liking the racism, genuinely believe Trump is more like them than he is like the ‘Coastal Elite’.

4 Likes
12 Likes

You know if he really wanted to make the world a better place; he could have used those billions to dramatically bring down the cost of scientific, medical and academic journal access instead. The effect would have been instant forcing competing companies to bring down the cost plus it would have given him so much cred to his weird nerd fans.

Buying twitter is 100% an ego move.

19 Likes

Is Lacoste really still a big deal? I feel like I don’t see that alligator much these days. (just trying to lighten the conversation lol)

2 Likes

Well, a bigger deal than a Croc, I guess. :wink:

PS re a similar comment I made in an earlier thread about his free speech absolutism … I may now join Twitter merely to tweet once a week or so that there is a FIRE!!! at one of his Tesla factories. Oh, and that my Tesla just exploded.

3 Likes

Your brokerage will replace your share with cash when the time comes.

2 Likes

clopwn

28 Likes

12 Likes

I would chip in for that then NFT it but never, ever sell it.

5 Likes

Good analysis and food for thought, as usual.

8 Likes

Oh? On my list, Usenet around #5.

At least my productivity will climb. Now to go beat on Python’s annoying context and scope some more.

6 Likes