Elon Musk tests positive (and negative) for Covid after experiencing symptoms

It’s almost like this “genius” doesn’t understand introductory-level statistics…

Could it be he’s not actually super smart?

5 Likes

It does make me doubt this particular test. But I see some of the “it’s all a conspiracy!” crowd are loving this, and extrapolating it to all tests.

Or, possibly, has already had it. For various professional reasons I’ve had to learn a fair bit about test results over the past 8 months. A ‘Weak positive’ result is a thing, and it usually indictes a prior infection which has left bits of RNA rubbish behind, that the test is - weakly - detecting.

3 Likes

Old russian saying:
See? Things are getting better! They aren’t as good as yesterday, but much better than tomorrow!

8 Likes

Stellantis.

1 Like

Why do we keep lionizing and making wise men out of loudmouthed bozos who found a way to becoming rich? You’d think we’d have learned a lesson from Henry Ford. Is this a worldwide thing, or strictly an American phenomenon? I suppose it may be just another facet of the American myth of the individual, in which countless people contribute to an important invention and one guy gets credit for everything (think Thomas Edison).

6 Likes

Well, because wealth is an objective indicator that you’re more intelligent than everybody else. If you were a wealthy loudmouthed bozo you would know this.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen much evidence that the man is “brilliant” at much of anything, other than having parents with an emerald mine, and, well, I’ll give him marketing (I never would have thought people would be so blown away by his blowtorch, for example).

4 Likes

He has a 100% pass rate on the COMPLETE ASSHOLE test he’s been given over a million times though.

4 Likes

In all fairness, in early March it was pretty reasonable to expect, based on what trend data we had from the Chinese experience, that we might very well be down to near-zero by the end of April, if the crisis were handled with even minimal competence by the government

But we all know how well that went.

I’m not defending Elon’s overall response, but the disastrous results of the Trump administration’s utterly bollixed COVID (non-)response is not really Elon Musk’s fault.

How long do you think March is that the 19th is “early”?

1 Like

The thing I really don’t get is why anyone really cares what Elon has to say on the subject.

When it come to rockets or electric cars or batteries, I’ll listen to him as an expert, but when it comes to his comments about pandemics and epidemiology, AFAIAC, he’s just another guy bloviating at the end of the bar, waving his beer around trying to make sense of the firehose of (early, unreliable, often contradictory) data in the news.

That’s what we’ve ALL been doing; Elon is no more qualified than the next guy to make pronouncements on the topic, so why take him any more seriously than Joe Blow?, (Especially if you’re already convinced he’s an idiot or an asshole or whatever?)

Because he’s a billionaire with the ability to influence policy, and he has a massive following of people who do take him seriously about everything he pontificates on (see also, Hyperloop, the terrible Tesla fire trap tunnel commute, his shitty blowtorches, the rescue submarine, etc.) and follows the same logical leap that he and other engineer-types do: that because he’s got a company that is very good at making cool rockets, he’s very smart about everything else, too.

Anybody with even a basic understanding of epidemiology knew by March 19th that there was no way SARS-CoV-2 was going to magically vanish by April 1st any more than it was going to when Trump said the same thing 2 weeks earlier. It’s not just that he’s unqualified, he was peddling factual misinformation to an audience that treats him like the second coming of Thomas Edison, and now he’s doing it again by casting unnecessary and uneducated aspersions on the testing process.

8 Likes

That would be fair if musk hadn’t been actively making things worse by forcing his workers back on the job and attempting to side step what public health measures there were.

7 Likes

This.

Also, his view isentirely self-serving.

So, shut the fuck of, Musk. Your stink makes me want to vomit all over you.

3 Likes

Those of us in Europe reserve that for loud mouthed people whose ancestors have struck it rich anywhere between 200 and 1000 years ago.

(And yes, to head off potential comments: I also speak for countries that have officially abandoned the concept of aristocracy. How else would people have ever voted for this smarmy a-hole?)

1 Like

That’s a rather blinkered perspective. There were plenty of competent governments around the world none of which achieved that.

3 Likes

Clearly that silly nurse administered his test wrong. The correct way to test things, as Elon knows, is to hurl a bowling ball at them.

Except he’s not. That’s part of his genius/narcissism, that he manages to pass himself off as an expert. For the longest time I seriously thought he was an actual engineer. It’s something I just assumed from his confident pronouncements on all things engineering and his involvement with Tesla and SpaceX. But he isn’t! He doesn’t have undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in engineering - not that degrees are everything. But we can see the paucity of actual engineering in his his rescue “submarine” and hyperloop plans.

8 Likes

So? That is why you should never test without a theory and why those that really know clinical chemistry and lab technology advocate that no diagnoses should ever be based on a single lab test and without anamnesis and other observations.

In this case it might just be because his anti-body levels are at the edge of the detection limits.

1 Like