Elon Musk tries to restore his failing popularity by firing an engineer

In my engineering career path, there’s been a lot of heavy industry and power generation. Anything short of complete frankness and honesty can get people killed. I know most of real life isn’t like that, but I still have very little patience for bullshit.

12 Likes

The emperor has no clothes

2 Likes

This goes back well before Tw***er. @nosaj posted this on another thread:

Significant comment:

15 Likes

Literally “Move fast and break things”

:roll_eyes:

12 Likes

“and fire the scapegoats.”

14 Likes

The unwritten rule to authoritarianism has always been “Have a underling to blame when your plans don’t work out”. How else do you stay in power?

12 Likes

That’s how things worked in Soviet factories in the 1930s, or so I’ve read. The person who points out the problem is blamed for the problem. If they hadn’t said anything, there would be no problem, no need to do anything and nothing to get in the way of fulfilling the quota.

12 Likes

My understanding (admittedly limited) was that this was how Chernobyl happened.

9 Likes

And how the Russian army keeps making the same mistakes over and over again.

6 Likes

Although ultimately it’s not about how popular he is (or isn’t) - it’s about his (and his right-wing buddies) notion of “free speech.” I.e. people should be forced to listen to me, even when they don’t want to.

5 Likes

These clowns seem to think free speech means giving them a megaphone in my living room at 3am.

No, go home Musk, you’re power-drunk.

4 Likes

It’s interesting to see this little story about life with Elno come out just after we saw EmptyGee and Boobert yelling at ex-Twitter employees about how Twitter didn’t promote their tweets, and how this was somehow an atrocity and violation of their free-speech rights…

6 Likes

I know that path and the dangers inherent in such industries. It seems that too often the “real life” of human weaknesses, complacency, and dangerously cavalier decisions are the things that are needed to create, codify, and constantly promote safety rules. See case below (my first employer) where the incident was driven by management’s desire to cut costs by ordering the ignition [read: improper destruction] of experimental propellants instead of paying for the required (and more expensive) hazardous material disposal service. Any rules changed or created? In a way: They got rid of the entire department effected by the incident. Twitter’s fate?

5 Likes

Politics in Science: Facts get crushed, and politics puts ambitious, unqualified people in control.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.