Elon Musk's continuing struggle to be overpaid

Sure Jan GIF

5 Likes

I know a guy down the street who says there’s no limit on how much money you can make at his 3 card Monty game.

10 Likes

I won’t dispute that you can make a lot of money on the stock market because of Elon. However, maybe the company shouldn’t be paying him 55 billion just because he’s helping short sellers.

12 Likes

That sadly tracks. The underlying connection being the fascistic belief in the rightness of the hierarchy of power, that those with less power owe those with more power loyalty and those with more power owe those with less power nothing except scorn.

2 Likes

Tesla’s gonna get their arse ate by the trad carmakers like Volkswagen and Nissan on one side, and the Chinese newcomers like GWM and BYD on the other.

Elmo’s most recent great idea is the Cybertruck, which anyone with a brain cell can see is a heap of shit.

IDK if there’s a future in being a charger infrastructure company but he just shat all over that anyway.

His PR value to the company is like a dose of STD.

8 Likes

I guess one could argue he was able to bring a bunch of toxic dudebros into the EV market.

Of course, he did that at the cost of alienating every potential EV customer who isn’t a toxic dudebro.

11 Likes

We think it’s funny

9 Likes

Speaking for yourself.

Also, yes: Tesla stock is massively overvalued, and if you have any, selling them would be a good idea.

9 Likes

“… and all the fanboys and techbros will look up and shout ‘RESPECT US!’…and BoingBoing will look down and whisper ‘No.’”

8 Likes

I guess you should have gone with a wiser investment then

4 Likes

On the one hand “I like what he’s doing because I made lots of money off it”, on the other “I don’t care how much money is involved, the man is a demented menace”.

2 Likes

That’s not how shareholder voting works. It’s not one shareholder, one vote. It’s one share, one vote, so a small number of loyalists with a lot of shares between them can sweep the vote. That’s why there are laws to protect the interests of minority shareholders.

Also, 55 billion? Have some self respect and negotiate. That is coming out of your pocket as a shareholder.

11 Likes

You’d think in that case you’d be amused, and yet you’re not.

Maybe you should try and find fulfillment elsewhere in life?

4 Likes

Here we go. Buckle up!

19 Likes

Do you think it’s relevant to point out that the previously-approved pay package was deemed to have been approved under sufficiently irregular circumstances that the not-exactly-notoriously-anticapitalistic Delaware Court of Chancery struck it down; noting that they were perturbed both by the information provided to shareholders being incomplete and misleading; and the directors being notably weak on independence?

17 Likes

Ifc Is It Though GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

10 Likes

I have to wonder if anything can shake the true believers in a time of Trump-like worship of Musk among the teslarati. Perhaps the news of Musk actively working to prioritize his privately owned side hustle over the publicly owned Tesla will do the trick? https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/04/elon-musk-told-nvidia-to-ship-ai-chips-reserved-for-tesla-to-x-xai.html

5 Likes

Why do you think the Cybertruck is designed so… edgy?

10 Likes

Do you believe that Musk, who already has more money than pretty much anyone else on the planet, won’t continue providing whatever “value” you seem to think he provides if he ends up getting a slightly less obscene amount of money?

Even if I liked Musk and thought he was doing a good job I still wouldn’t want to give him more of my money than I had to, because I’m not a creepy cultist.

17 Likes

Musk is like an overly expensive fashion accessory, and you could get the exact same thing for less at an outlet store and nobody would ever notice, but you would know so you just have to pay more.

9 Likes