Enjoy this awesome Modern Lovers track "Pablo Picasso"

Originally published at: Enjoy this awesome Modern Lovers track "Pablo Picasso" | Boing Boing

6 Likes
3 Likes

Jonathan Richman is the true genius: Jonathan Richman - I Was Dancing In The Lesbian Bar Live - YouTube

9 Likes

One of my favourite albums of all time.

10 Likes

And a genuinely sweet guy, apparently. A story that happened to a friend of a friend, so I can’t vouch for its veracity, but it sounds about right: The guy was at a Richman show and met him afterward in the standard post-show milling around. He was short of cash, and need to get home, so he asks Jonathan “Hey, can I borrow twenty bucks?” Without missing a beat, Jonathan says, “I don’t see why not” reaches into his pocket and gives the guy a twenty.

My own experience is less personal - I’ve just seen him live several times - but I go see him whenever I can.

9 Likes
13 Likes

Careful Devin, I quoted this song in a comment a while back and was reminded that in fact, many people have called Pablo Picasso an asshole.

14 Likes

Enjoy many of these covers too: Cover versions of Pablo Picasso by David Bowie | SecondHandSongs

3 Likes

Good grief. I love the Repo Man soundtrack, and never knew this was a cover.

8 Likes

Man, I haven’t heard this in ages. Good memories.

4 Likes

Heck, I lived 20 years thinking that he was only five-foot-three.

8 Likes

When I watched the film, “Lawless”, it convinced that the Velvet’s “White Light/White Heat” was a cover of a 1930’s track. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I saw the Modern Lovers when they were a local band opening for Edgar Winter performing in a high school gym five years before the release of their first album. Very few people were paying much attention to them, but I was transfixed. I met Jonathan when they left the stage had a lot of questions for him, we talked for about 20 minutes. In the middle of our conversation he was called away and he handed me a set of guitar strings and the setlist he was holding so he could grab a phone call. When he returned he told me about his love of the Velvet Underground and Lou Reed, and talked about the record his band were about to record. He was young, I was even younger, and his excitement about his band and his music was infectious. And yes, he was was a genuinely sweet guy.

8 Likes

Jonathan Richman is a swell guy.
Back in the nineties, I sold a jukebox to a local drummer, and we needed some muscle to get it into the truck.
He showed up with Jonathan Richman as his muscle.
(The drummer is now Jonathan’s drummer. )

Also, I just noticed how this song sounds a lot like the Velvet Underground. Huh.

7 Likes

My favorite of his songs about prolific painters:

2 Likes

not in New York!

4 Likes

BBC’s Evil Genius covered exactly why he actually was an asshole. I was shocked that this song never got mentioned.

On a close listen I notice that there is a big difference between “was not an asshole” and “was never called an asshole.”

2 Likes

Tommy Larkins is the name of the drummer. He and Jonathan have been playing together for years. Tommy’s a quiet guy.

3 Likes

Jonathan is back to touring:

I look forward to seeing him as he swings through town.

3 Likes

not like you

4 Likes