Entire police department quits after Black woman hired as city manager in North Carolina

All the more reason to say good riddance to the old PD.

6 Likes

I bet. I kind of wonder how often nepotism is at play in such cases, too, in terms of who gets hired for those local PDs and who gets the best pay…

17 Likes

So there was a police department so upset at the idea of oversight (not to mention any racism/misogyny at play), that they quit rather than face it? I love self-solving problems. More of this, please.

16 Likes

Here in Los Angeles County the sheriff’s department makes the LAPD look like saints. I wouldn’t be surprised if other county sheriffs are similarly belligerent and corrupt.

11 Likes

If you quit because you are going to be held accountable, then you’re probably a piece of shit of a person to begin with, and you’re doing the smart thing by getting out before your stupidity and ignorance are made known to everyone. Good riddance!

11 Likes

Correction. The entire police department was White.

So maybe they quit not because she was Black but because she expected them to follow the law? (most likely both…). Seems like the problem took care of itself.

8 Likes

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF by Cartuna

13 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like having them in the town, trying to prove that the town needs cops more than it needs that city manager.

3 Likes

This is the part that stuck out for me:

Jones, who worked in local government for 16 years, was hired on June 2, unanimously supported by Kenly’s city council.

So the city council knew they had a problem, and they turned to someone with a long LOCAL track record. They unanimously supported a Black woman getting the position, which suggests even the responsible white representatives of Kenly knew a major shakeup was needed.

15 Likes

It wasn’t a very big one.

police chief, four full-time officers, one part-time officer and two town clerks.

is 8 “big”? Whats going on in the head of the town clerk that resigned? peer pressure?

I think they think they will just get rehired when the city manager is fired… Didn’t they hear this is a very tight job market?

3 Likes

Sounds to me like a self-correcting problem.

3 Likes

Just barely enough officers to have one person on duty around the clock. When nobody takes vacation or sick leave or has to go out for training… Small forces like this are pretty inefficient.

3 Likes

That’s what I was wondering as well. Where I’m from, first of all, this would be called a village, and second of all, it wouldn’t have a single dedicated police officer, being instead served by the police from the next biggest town on the few occasions a year police was needed.

9 Likes

:musical_note:Pig-piggy-pig-pig-pig-pig-pig
Pig-piggy-pig-pig-pig :musical_note:

2 Likes

“Don’t let the door hit you, where the good Lord split you.”

3 Likes

FWIW the CNN article describes her as having work experience in “local government”, but it’s not clear if any of her previous experience was in that town. From the linked CNN article:

Jones started as Kenly’s town manager on June 2, according to an announcement from the town that notes she was unanimously approved by the council and touted her 16 years of experience working in “progressively responsible positions with local governments” in multiple states.

To me, it sounds like Jones may not be from there (whereas the BB author’s casual rephrasing of the info makes it sound as though she is).

Other than that, I agree with your assessment.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s an important distinction.

Still, unanimous vote for a Black woman in that town? Something was rotten and they didn’t want their own hands dirty throwing it all out.

5 Likes

i googled their city council earlier. i don’t know how long it’s been the way it is, but it seemed to be a decent mix of different people. i was expecting an all white, all male group and it definitely wasn’t.

i was wondering if it’s a sign of some changes in the region? your thought also seems possible

some local reporting might help. cnn swooping in for a story often leaves out the details

6 Likes

4 Likes

Came here to say the same! The US is shockingly over-policed. A city needs to be waaay bigger than that in Canada before they get their own police force.

This same topic came up with Uvalde. Not only is it a tiny town that inexplicably has its own police force, they had their own SWAT team.

Do the people in these towns not realize how expensive police are? You can do an awful lot of much nicer things for your town with that money.

11 Likes