Equinox Questions and Answers

Whoa, time out- could you please elaborate?

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe there is a single official date for when seasons begin in the US.

Astronomical seasons starting on equinoxes/solstices are the regularly used ones, but in some contexts meteorological seasons where autumn starts on Sep 1 is used. Then there’s school and legislative calendars where seasons start when it’s convenient. And of course, some parts of the US rely on rodents to determine when certain seasons start.

5 Likes

Yes! :100:

I tell people the stuff all the time. It makes me crazy when I hear someone on the news saying “official first day of spring” or such.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’m used to Summer being May, June &July, basically straddling the summer solstice. The midsummer bonfires all happen in late June (thanks Pope Gregory XIII).

4 Likes

… if we point out that traditionally autumn begins in August, and meteorologists (who we’d imagine are the “officials” to quote) start autumn on Sept 1st, then the talking heads say “astronomical autumn” starts on the equinox, but they’re not quoting any astronomers either, they’re just making shit up

2 Likes

If we’re talking about temperature; August is definitely summer here.

4 Likes

xkcd autumn and fall

11 Likes

… in my personal opinion, each season is 4½ months long and they overlap :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Yep. In a calendar year here, Jan-Feb is Winter, Mar-Apr is Spring, May is Summer, June is Spring again, July-Sep is Summer, October-November is Autumn, and December is Winter except for one week that decides to be Spring again.

1 Like

Fall starts when it damn well pleases.

What is autumn anyway? We just have dry summer and wet summer and then it is winter for a minute.

4 Likes

Autumn is the best season and I’m very sad that you don’t experience it.

ETA: To me, Autumn/Fall is when the uncomfortable temperatures of summer are over, the leaves change colors then fall, it can get a bit frosty in the mornings, and sweaters come out of storage. All good things.

3 Likes

To be fair, the whole astronomical definition actually is kind of old. For instance:

Of Autumn.

This quarter begins on Saturday, the 13 of September at 5 m. after 7. in the morning. the Sun then being returned from his Northern journey, and is arrived to the fist minute of the Autumnal Aequinoctial Sign Libra and is now going Southward toward the Antartick-pole. The days and nights are now of an equal length, and the Sun rises due East, and sets due West; he hath now neither declination nor amplitude, but is the same as in the Spring. This quarter continues till the Sun has passed Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius, and contains part of September, all of October, November and part of December.

- Kalendarium Astronomical, Meteorological, and Chronological (1673) by James Bowker, Astrophilo

(Calculation of when the equinox was differed a bit because of latitude)

1 Like

… around here summer is forest fires and winter is when it rains all the time

Last year summer ended Oct. 20th and winter began Oct. 21st and there was nothing in between

2 Likes

the new not normal.

1 Like

Thursday night to Friday midday looked a little autumn-like?

Autumn here is spectacular, but I guess we pay for it with a long, snowy winter. We had 111 inches of snow last year. I’m probably moving soon a bit further from Lake Superior, though, where there’s only 30-50 inches of snow per winter. It will be like living in the South!

That said, I guess it’s likely we’ll be getting less snow in the future. :cry:

3 Likes

… at least on the Great Lakes you don’t have to worry about sea level rise :partying_face:

2 Likes

I think they are still predicting a rise in the water levels for Lake Superior because of increased precipitation, but I guess it’s better than drought!

2 Likes
3 Likes