Ethics of Poop

I’m seeing a pattern really.

Just remember - Marx has been upturned and taken advantage of at every turn. It’s impossible to properly implement.

Property is not theft. And deciding all by oneself that it is, that’s imagining.

1 Like

Hahaha not a Marxist. I am pretty lefty this is true. But Im not stealing anything.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

It isn’t the same thing because you mention someone putting crap in your bin while it is on your property. There is a very specific criteria, which is: putting bagged poo in the correct waste bin that is off property and imminently due to be collected by the bin men.

As soon as the criteria is broken, it isn’t bin day or after the bins were emptied, it is on your property (even while still be reachable from a public space), wrong bin type, bad not secure or wrong type, etc, then it becomes a pointless argument as no one is actually disagreeing.

So far anyway, cue someone disagreeing.

In wasn’t even a question about right and wrong, more around ‘why do you care?’ The main two types of answers seem to be ‘Irrelevant, it is my bin’ through to ‘transfer of smell, spillage’.

True. The bin man, who empties it into the truck. If they do that from my bin or from my next door neighbours bin, they are still doing it. Indeed the worst part, picking it up and bagging it, has already been done. By me.

That said, i always take them home and put in my bin. Don’t really like putting them in public bins, unless there are some of the specific dog poo ones (even then.)

2 Likes

So you’re saying that no matter how much people dislike you using their bins for your dog’s poop, you’re going to do it anyway, because you want to?

4 Likes

Toronto keeps experimenting with poop bins, and keep failing because they fill up too fast, and there is too much poop for the bio diesel plant to deal with. Its an amazingly complicated issue! :smiley:

5 Likes

Might that be all those non-dog owners, using it for their household refuse? I know I can’t leave a dumpster unlocked anywhere without it filling up pretty much overnight, like magic.

1 Like

I think they just underestimated the amount of poop there was…
This was in addition to the regular park garbages, so regular waste was going in the garbage they were trying to divert the poop away from the landfill and turn it into biodiesel.

4 Likes

The last time I guy started swearing at me for daring to turn around in his driveway, I did a donut on his lawn. Not the most mature thing in the world, but so so satisfying.

5 Likes

Hahah, I wouldn’t do that, but sometimes you need to turn around!

1 Like

He demanded I do something ridiculous like back the car all the way down the road until I’m at the main road I came off of. Then when I tried to turn the car around, he yelled, “Hey! What the fuck did I just tell you?” If I couldn’t turn around on his driveway, I could sure as hell turn around on his lawn.

2 Likes

Dog poop should not be used as fertilizer:

Dog waste in compost can carry a number of unhealthy parasites that can affect humans and other animals. Roundworms are one of the most common pests that afflict our dogs. Roundworms and their cousins, ascarids, may persist in compost made with dog waste. These can be ingested and their eggs hatch in the human intestine. This causes a condition called Visceral Larval Migrans. The tiny eggs can then migrate through the blood stream and attach in the lungs, liver and other organs, with a host of different unpleasant symptoms as a result. Most unpleasant is Ocular Larval Migrans, which occurs when the eggs attach to the retina and may cause blindness.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Dog Waste In Compost: Why You Should Avoid Composting Dog Waste Pet Poop Composting - Can Dog Feces Go In Compost | Gardening Know How

7 Likes

That first one… man, if you want to see grown men get into it enough to come to blows, ask them if it’s ok to put bagged dog poop in someone elses green bin. Its amazing! On my neighbourhood FB group its a recurring issue, people putting poop in other people’s bins. Amazing!

12 Likes

Are you okay with people putting dog poop in your bin?

3 Likes

Personally, I’m fine with it. Green bin pick up is weekly. Garbage and Recycling alternate weekly.
Also, I wouldn’t even know if anyone put poop in my green bin as its usually full of my own dogs poop, so whats a little more poop?

The one thing these debates have taught me is that some people WASH their green bin every week…

22 Likes

I agree with it too…so long as its bagged and sealed properly. Its just garbage like my garbage. We don’t pay based on weight or quantity. I’d rather be partnering with my neighbor to keep it off the sidewalk or lawn.

13 Likes

Right? I’m just happy they’re picking it up!

15 Likes

The rule is,
1: Put your dog’s poop in your bin.
2: You can let other people put their dog’s poop in your bin. Not everyone allows this.
3: You cannot put your dog’s poop in someone else’s bin. (See #2.)

2 Likes

If I am far from home and my dog poops I pick it up and put it in a bin.
I’m not carrying it all the way home again to put in my bin.
I’m putting it the first appropriate bin I come across!

19 Likes

It’s way better than the other guy who leaves the bagged poop next to the bin:

Around here we seem to have people who bag it up but then just leave the bags wherever. I just don’t understand.

16 Likes

[quote=“Missy_Pants, post:14, topic:103117, full:true”]
If I am far from home and my dog poops I pick it up and put it in a bin.
I’m not carrying it all the way home again to put in my bin.
I’m putting it the first appropriate bin I come across![/quote]

Public/city bin: Appropriate.
Private/home bin: Not cool.

Leave no trace, baby. If you can’t carry your dog’s poop back to your bin, you aren’t being a responsible dog owner.

13 Likes