Ethics of Poop

This. I lived in a what was supposed to be a “luxury” apartment complex, but the people still left their dogs’ shit everywhere for the maintenance people to clean up. Even the entryway to the apartments.

5 Likes

Where I live, the trash bins are owned by the city. Is it acceptable in this case?

EDIT: I replied too quickly, I see you amended your post. Thanks for the clarification.

5 Likes

As I said, first appropriate bin I come across. If I’m on a long walk and there are no bins, obviously I carry it with me until I come across one. But if your bin is out because its garbage day, totally adding my poop to your bin. (I’m not going onto other peoples property, just to be clear.)

I honestly don’t get why people care if someone put poops in their bin, its a bit boggling to me honestly.
Like, why do you care if someone puts something small in your bin? Its no cost to you, you won’t even notice, so why do you care?

@ugh same - in Toronto the bins are barcoded and issued by the city, so technically, not ours at all, they’re owned by the city. EDIT - wait, thats just garbage and recycling, green bins we do buy ourselves, but they are a specific mandated bin! Still weird tho! Share the bins man! Be happy people are picking up!

18 Likes

And if your neighbor doesn’t own a dog, please be respectful and don’t let your dog crap (or piss) on their lawn at all - even if you pick up the poop.

I love dogs but hate most of their owners.

5 Likes

That’s pretty much the only one I didn’t get. I want my neighbors to pick up after their dogs, and so long as the resulting item is well contained in a baggie I don’t see why it shouldn’t go in the nearest bin. Yes, it’s a bin someone else is paying for / responsible for, but it’s unlikely a daily baggie of dog doo will fill it and prevent them from using it as they need.

Some of the other ones are quite good, especially Max in Apt 3F’s laundry cartoon (at the linked site).

9 Likes

Signs are so… impersonal, so:

Over the course of a few weeks, one of our neighbors (yet to be identified) kept letting their dog poop on our lawn… always the same area… and never cleaning up afterwards. Sweet! So, one early morning I grabbed our canned black and red ground pepper and emptied the stuff all over a wide swath on and around the poop zone. The cans were BIG and mostly full. All this was about six months ago, and zero poop since the spiking (or is that spicing).

Thank you ‘Cool Hand Luke’!!

9 Likes

That’s worked for us to deter the neighborhood cats…Bulk cayenne pepper, <$2/lb.

2 Likes

I personally think that dogs should have to wear diapers in public.

11 Likes

Finally! A voice of reason.

5 Likes

I used to get yelled at by my trash guy because other people would toss dog poop in my recycling bin. I get fined for that! I totally understand that note.

3 Likes

Ditto. If your dog poos on the path and you do nothing and I tread it in it, I now have dog poo on my shoe. If your dog poos on the path and you pick it up and bag it but leave the bag on the path and I tread on it and it explodes, I now have dog poo up my leg.

Trash day is the greatest of all days, since I feel perfectly fine dropping my little baggie of dog crap into the nearest curbside receptacle as we walk past.

1 Like

At my previous residence, people used to do this in my across-the-street neighbor’s drive all the time. Which wasn’t long, usually had two cars in it, and occasionally small children.
The thing was, the street was a cul-de-sac. If they drove 50 feet further, there’d be a nice big unimpeded turning area.

In the last 10 years, and in three different residences, I have problems with people blocking my driveways. First residence was a duplex, so two connected homes with identical 20-foot driveways. The neighbors would never get blocked, but somehow mine was invisible and people would park across it. I had a lot of people towed.

Second house, across from the turnaround neighbors, was the first house on the street. So for some reason people who were lost would pull over across my drive to consult their GPS. Also, got blocked a few times by cops who had pulled someone over … in front of my drive.

Now I live on a much smaller cul-de-sac, with very limited parking. And just Saturday, there was some dude sitting in his vehicle blocking our egress. We got in the car, started it, backed down the drive … and he didn’t budge. My husband managed to maneuver around him which freaked the guy out.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s basically it. The dog owners are too lazy to put the poop in their own bins, so they feel entitled to put it in someone else’s bin and justify their laziness by saying, “I don’t agree with, care about, or respect the homeowner’s reasons for not wanting my dog’s poop in their bin, so this social contract doesn’t apply to me because I’m special and different.” These people are called assholes.

2 Likes

When I get a leer I just holler 'Don’t put the kettle on, we’re not stayin’!"

2 Likes

Because surely your neighbor is perfect, and your horrid beast a mark on your character de facto

Ah, that’s cute. I wish I’d thought of that. Nothing disarms alpha-male braggadocio like cutesy folksiness.

1 Like

Two points: Here in LA at least, the green bin is the wrong bin for dog crap. The green bin is for compostable yard waste. Green things. Not for dog crap, not for any random crap you imagine is ‘biodegradable.’ (And no, it doesn’t go in the blue can, either. It’s not recyclable.)

Your local rules may vary. Best to check them

As for putting dog crap in my (Black! Not green!) bin, I’m fine with that, IF THE TRASH HAS NOT BEEN PICKED UP YET.

If it has, please please PLEASE don’t throw bags of dog shit in my bin where it will fester in a hot sunlit black bin for a week - ESPECIALLY if you use “biodegradable” dog-poop bags. Those things biodegrade in the heat in a matter of a day or two.

Dog-poop bags, even the non-biodegradable ones, are made of the thinnest possible disposable plastic. They pop if you look at them sideways. And then my trash can smells like fermented dog shit until next week’s pickup, and probably afterwards unless I wash my can.

Chemotherapy makes it really hard to deal with nauseating smells like fermented dog shit. One good, solid whiff can provoke an hour of dry-heave vomiting.

And the arthritis and nerve damage I have makes hosing out the garbage bin a really painful chore.

So you might want to take a careful look at what you imagine is an ‘appropriate’ bin - not everyone is A-okay with their bins smelling like dog crap until next week.

If you can carry the crap home when it’s not trash day, you can carry it home when it is.

Being a responsible dog owner means taking care of disposing of your dog’s shit yourself, not foisting it off on someone else just because it’s convenient.

2 Likes

I really don’t get why this angers people so much. I used to have a problem with people not picking up their dogs poop or even they would bag it and just leave it on the ground for me to deal with. Then, I started to leave my cans by the sidewalk (just because I’m lazy). Dog poop and garbage started going into the trash instead of being left on the ground. I call that a win.

3 Likes

It was good to see an attempt to actually answer ‘Missy_Pants’ question.

I’m inferring, from a comment M_P said about not going onto property, there is only a specific window the action of putting full poo bags into a bin one does not own:

• It is garbage collection day. The wheelie (in the UK) bin has been moved from the property to the curb, or somewhere else for collection.
  • The garbage has not actually been collected yet.

Therefore, why would anyone care? Indeed, I’m not sure I would even know unless I happen to spot somebody doing it to ‘my’ bin. The trespassing dog poo is going to be in that bin for a maximum of 6 hours.

Putting poo bags in a bin that is after being emptied, not on the collection day but the bin is still accessible to passers by, actually on your property, yes, that would not be a good thing and would pass the problem of what to do with the waste onto someone else.

The moment the bin is taken from my property to the curb (normally the night before) to the moment I bring the bin back in, completely empty, I doubt I would know anyone had done it.

Unless, of course, some of the smell can transfer.

I wouldn’t know, mine has poo from my own dog. And, yes, I do bring it home and put in my own bin on the odd occasion I have been nowhere near specific, public, bins for dog poo.

People who don’t pick up dog poo at all? Shoot on sight.

1 Like