Evangelical leaders have soured on Trump: "Donald Trump can't save America!"

“If I can’t have a full-blown United States civil war, I don’t want any!”

10 Likes

It’s funny how they decide this AFTER Fox news decides it.

9 Likes

Fox news told them he wasn’t a christian enough person.

5 Likes

We had to close our mouths and eyes when he said things that horrified us. I cannot do that anymore.

You didn’t have to do shit. You chose to support an incompetent narcissistic fascist monster, and I wager you’ll do the same again the moment you think they have a chance of winning.

26 Likes

supernatural unity

Also came to note that phrase and wonder WTF it had to do with their professed Christianity.

(ETA a bit later) Supernatural? Yeah, it’s all woo.

Also

He used us to win the White House. We had to close our mouths and eyes when he said things that horrified us.

No. No you did not have to. You had a fucking choice and we all saw what you chose. You do NOT get a pass on this because you were “used”. You allowed yourselves to be used. You were willing to be used. You WANTED to be used. Fuck you.

Fox is now, what, the US evangelicals’ equivalent of the Pope?

ETA I see @Hanglyman already expressed some similar sentiments 5 mins ahead of me.

19 Likes

Well said, though. Some of us still remember 2016. Nobody was bamboozled into voting for Trump. He wasn’t some mastermind who pulled a bait and switch, he was openly an inept, ignorant bigot from day one. He didn’t fool anyone, they got exactly what they were promised, and exactly what they wanted. You don’t vote for modern-day Hitler and then claim you had no choice, especially when it’s transparently obvious that you’ve only changed your mind because you’re terrified he won’t win again and your ability to punish women and brown people in the name of your sick faith-driven “morals” might go away.

24 Likes

!00%. Trump told all of us exactly who he was from the get-go. That the evangelicals chose to cover their ears, eyes, and mouths in order to get the power they wanted is entirely on them and not something they can retcon as “he used us.”

17 Likes

I mean kind of always has been.

It’s interesting, when I went home to visit Mom earlier this year, I was curious what media she follows and how she gets her news. And yes, the answer is Fox. But, she also got her news the same place I do. Twitter would autosuggest far right news to her. Google would show her far right searches for the same topics I have. Youtube directed her to far-right news sources that were “sourced” as well as any others. (Interpretations of these sources were wrong and often didn’t match what the primary said, but, they were making it look like they’d done their work by publishing sources.)

The point is, once the algorithms and thought leaders decide something’s off, the algorithm will guide it. Trump’s likely done because people like my Mom will now be guided by Google and Twitter (if it survives) and Youtube to believe Trump’s done, and Fox News is going to reinforce that.

11 Likes

I’ve never heard it styled as “Supernatural Unity”, but Unity – specifically Unity in Christ – is a longstanding term of art in Christianity in general, and Evangelicalism in particular that says in as much as I have a relationship with Christ and you have a relationship with Christ we, as Christians, have much in common. And it is one of the pillars for the political movement of Evangelicalism since the 1970s.

Not sure why this, of all terms, would turn them off.

6 Likes

Excellent thread. Thanks.

3 Likes

His Holiness the Rupert speaks fox cathedra.

14 Likes

Rupe, the Rubes’ Pope

(PS ‘fox cathedra’ - well played!)

9 Likes

“can’t save America”?
He can barely hold a glass of water.

(thinks: was he trying to baptise many front row people at once? Probably not.)

3 Likes

I saw that quote and thought “you had to close your mouths and eyes? No, sir, you chose to close your mouths and eyes.”

14 Likes

“The Republican Party is headed toward a civil war that I have no desire or need to be part of,” even though he played a bit part in creating this situation. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Too little, too late, and WAY too fucking hypocritical.

They used 45 to get what they wanted; there’s no walking that back.

22 Likes

Waitaminute, you thought evangelicalism had anything to do with Christianity and religious beliefs? Nah, it’s always been just excuses to act like a raging self serving bigoted assholes to people without the expectation of accountability and social exclusion.

This group of self serving assholes have realized another self serving asshole is of no use to them, so they whine.

8 Likes

Most “flawed vessels” have, you know, “flaws”. Don’t worry, there will be other con men.

5 Likes

I’m too tired to even have a good take on the depth of the hypocrisy in their sudden shift of support for the man they’ve spent six years propping up as the “anointed” one, chosen by God himself for being so very good and righteous. Just too tired… y’all tear the fuckers apart for me.

9 Likes

But I wanna win, g***mit

2 Likes