Evangelical leaders have soured on Trump: "Donald Trump can't save America!"

Not surprising, considering their transactional take on the bible. Prayers in, miracles out. “I prayed, I hated the people I was supposed to hate, God. Aren’t you supposed to protect me from COVID and give me worldly riches now?”

10 Likes

I’ve heard they might have a chance to get their souls back if they can beat the devil in a guitar battle.

11 Likes

I like this quote from the Vox piece:

“I think in some ways this is a kind of baptism of Donald Trump,” says John Fea, a professor of evangelical history at Messiah College in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. “It’s the theopolitical version of money laundering, taking Scripture to … clean [up] your candidate.”

11 Likes

He started to look unelectable. That’s all.

14 Likes

And only the rest of us can save America from the Evangelical Leaders…
What have I done to deserve having to share air with these specimens?

4 Likes

LDE was detected.

1 Like

Given the state of christian rock (Black Sabbath excepted); I suspect that trying that route would just earn them double secret damnation.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I’m not foolish enough to model their expected behavior on the basis of their self-reported religious status; that would be madness for the reasons you describe.

However, that doesn’t mean that I’m against judging them for their deviations from the standards they profess to care about.(or the ones I care about; but I can’t accuse them of hypocrisy in the latter case).

3 Likes

Aside from “Making America Great Again” what exactly did Trump promise Evangelical US Christians?

… a Supreme Court that would ban abortion

17 Likes

It was less a matter of what he promised to do for them and more a matter of what he promised to do to people they hate.

10 Likes

Sore winners and whiners then? They got what they really wanted but they expected more.

2 Likes

But I thought Evangelicals loved their Antichrist.

The thing about the prosperity gospel is that is’s transactional-prayer for reward, or money for reward if you’re a flock member, not a church leader. Either way, it’s pay to play. Once the orange gibbon couldn’t offer any rewards, his status declined.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.