Even after Trump incited a deadly riot, CNN pundit remarks on Trump's "very different tone"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/even-after-trump-incited-a-deadly-riot-cnn-pundit-remarks-on-trumps-very-different-tone.html

5 Likes

No, she’s Lucy, Trump is the ball.

3 Likes

My impression is that one of the grownups in the room gave him a piece of paper with that speech on it and told him to read it or he’d be grounded for a week.

15 Likes

Beltway inside baseball types like Bash are so heavily invested in their narrative of “normalcy” and “comity” and both parties operating in good faith that they’ll never change. She’ll be praising Biff for gracefully exiting the White House on 20 January even if he’s dragged out in cuffs.

ETA:

Yes, he had the same affect he usually displays when he’s forced to read a damage-control statement written by a speechwriter or lawyer. But it’s in Bash’s interest to pretend not to notice that.

17 Likes

Exactly what you’ve written, plus addicted to the cocktail invites and inside schmoozing that makes them part of the establishment. She’s a shinier David Brooks.

2 Likes

Yeah, he did his small back and forth rocking thing he does whenever he has to read something like that. Waiting for him to rage tweet the opposite whenever he feels like he’ll be able to.

12 Likes

Is this it ? Is this the moment Donald Trump finally becomes president?

‘Cause it would be hella ironic if he finally became President mere hours before he’s shitcanned, arrested, and sealed up in a vault deep under yucca mountain.

Come to think of it, that’s the only safe place for him to do his presidenting.

8 Likes

Was it the ‘tone’ of someone who’d been warned that if he didn’t make that speech, he would up being impeached or the 25th would be invoked against him?

20 Likes

The words of his speech, obviously written by someone else, clearly had a different tone. But his body language as he was forced to deliver it, wiggling back and forth furtively like he was denied an ice cream cone, screamed “petulant child.”

16 Likes

That was my feeling as well. It was a very robotic reading, and clearly not his words. My guess is he cut a deal to read that for lesser charges on something.

7 Likes

I think you’re 100 percent right, but I think he ad libbed the last sentence of the speech. He’s not changed at all. You can’t teach an old dog new trick and I’d bet dollars to doughnuts he’s going to double down and do something stupid/destructive/asinine/disruptive in the time before Jan. 20.

5 Likes

Hint –– he’s still lying.

4 Likes

If you’re not recognizing Trump as a mass-murdering traitor by now, you deserve to stand trial right alongside him. If that means we need to round up 70 million cult-crazed morons who are bent on destroying the world at Trump’s heels, well, let’s.

8 Likes

It’s amazing that she thinks so when the “different tone” is just Trump is obviously reading a prepared speech that his lawyers forced him to read because they told him he was now implicated in a coup attempt that resulted in the loss of life and he was in legal jeopardy. What’s even more amazing is that this has happened multiple times in the past (with Trump returning to his usual tone immediately in every case), and yet she’s still falling for it. Fucking hell, the press seem incapable to adapting to the reality on the ground, even after four+ years of this.

I mean, yes, the speech is of a different tone than Trump’s rhetoric, because these aren’t Trump’s words. So you don’t describe Trump as having a different tone in that context. You find more accurate descriptions that don’t normalize the stupid, crazy fucker.

I don’t even think it’s that - he’s just trying to dodge responsibility for all this, and his lawyers told him he needs to appear to back off from all he’s done to have any chance of it.

Another murderous mob at the inauguration, which he’s made clear he won’t be attending (and thus won’t be in the line of fire, so go nuts, guys!). Attendees of the last riot have already begun talking about it.

10 Likes

PUNISHMENT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TRANSACTIONAL!

giphy(1)

5 Likes

You can start to appreciate how Europe must have felt when the crazy-religious, anti-government Puritans said they were leaving the continent for lands unknown: “Yayy! Don’t ever come back!”

1 Like

Well said.

2 Likes

The famous Trump “pivot”. Trump never learns, or changes. But he gets wobbly or confused and can be made to say things occasionally, and they start claiming it’s a “pivot”. And he goes back to whatever he was doing beforehand, and retracts whatever he said that was at all conciliatory.

2 Likes

More of a pirouette than a pivot.

1 Like

You mean the same Europeans that were slaughtering people left and right who didn’t share their religion? Those?

3 Likes