Even conservatives admit Hillary Clinton made fools of the Benghazi committee

I wasn’t a Hillary fan either, on Monday.

3 Likes

At the time it happened, any reasonable person could have told you that:
A) that false information was a transparent lie, and the only WMDs they had reason to suspect that Saddam had were the ones that they had, personally, given to him in a previous administration.

and
B) There was no possible way that starting that war was going to be anything other than a complete disaster, bringing untold misery to millions of people.

I know this because I could have told you that, and there were plenty of other people I knew who could have told you that, and a lot of us were rioting in the streets when we went to war in 2003. There were plenty of public figures who did say that, including some who are running for the nominations of both major parties right now. History has borne this assessment out, since nobody who isn’t a complete idiot would describe that war as anything less than an unmitigated disaster, leading directly to the current situation there.

There are plenty of people in congress for whom I would be perfectly willing to believe that voting for this was simply a matter of catastrophic stupidity, but I’ve seen far too much evidence that Hillary Clinton is really, really smart to interpret it as anything other than calculatedly and deliberately voting for a completely horrific course of action out of political expedience in her case.

13 Likes

To what extent did they require assistance?

Hilary Clinton made water of the ocean

Thank you very much for this. Everyone that didn’t have their head buried so far up their ass that it came back out of their own mouth knew that the war on Iraq was ludicrous when it was happening. I think a lot of people have already forgotten how completely, shamelessly, transparently corrupt Bush’s administration was, and how it insulted the intelligence of every rational human being on a daily basis. Clinton knew what she was doing, no question.

4 Likes

Ah, that good ol’ 20/20 hindsight. The fact is, at the start of the Iraq war, 72% of the public was in favor of it. The idea that the President of the United States would actually lie to both the public and congress, and ignore and suppress the warnings of our allies, like the UK (who knew for a fact that our main source of the cherry-picked info was wholly unreliable), was just beyond belief for nearly everyone.

5 Likes

In the UK, even people who didn’t like Blair didn’t think he’d be stupid enough to join Bush’s war unless there was evidence.

Then they presented that pathetic dossier of stolen homework as their only justification.

5 Likes

Oh, please. The Bush administration told a whopping NINE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE lies, in the run-up to the war. A total of 260 of them came directly out of Bush’s mouth.

As per the Senate’s bipartisan Phase II report: “the Administration repeatedly presented intelligence as fact when in reality it was unsubstantiated, contradicted, or even non-existent.”

Put the blame where it actually belongs. And if you think that belongs anywhere other than on the shoulders of Bush & Cheney, you’re delusional.

What the Bush administration launched in 2002 and 2003 may have been the most comprehensive, sophisticated, and misleading campaign of government propaganda in American history.

4 Likes
2 Likes

[quote=“art_carnage, post:26, topic:68057, full:true”]
The fact is, at the start of the Iraq war, 72% of the public was in favor of it. The idea that the President of the United States would actually lie to both the public and congress, and ignore and suppress the warnings of our allies, like the UK (who knew for a fact that our main source of the cherry-picked info was wholly unreliable), was just beyond belief for nearly everyone. [/quote]
72% and “nearly everyone” are different numbers. The rest is speculation on your part.

2 Likes

That doesn’t refute anything that I said. 72% of the public were clearly not reasonable people. It was abundantly clear to me, and a lot of people I knew. I was out rioting in the streets of portland and got ridden off the road by horse cops.

There has never been a time when I’ve been alive when anyone who could remember recent history would have had the slightest doubt that the president would lie to the public and congress if they thought they could get away with it. The Reagan administration (with a lot of the same people as the Bush administration) did exactly that, repeatedly, and it was a matter of public record. Any reputable foreign news source at the time was, at the very least, disputing the claims about WMDs. Just because you were, apparently, too young or too ignorant at the time to be aware of what was going on right in front of your face certainly doesn’t mean everyone was.

9 Likes

They kind of can’t go after her for that. The Iraq war was the GOP’s baby, and a fair number of them are still in the business of defending that decision. Beyond almost no GOP members who were sitting at the time voted against it:

So your pretty limited as to who can go after her for that without it instantly reflecting just as poorly on that attacker. Then there’s this:

Deliberate misrepresentation of the facts by a sitting GOP president, his administration and his allies in congress give any Dem who did vote in favor of the war and instant out that points culpability back on the GOP. Its a boneheaded move, however you go about it will just bounce back to negative shit about the GOP. Its the same reason Dubbya is staying the hell out of things. Noone in their right mind would build a campaign against someone else that’s presaged on their own horrid failures from a decade ago.

That said it isn’t stopping everyone. Trump for example has attempted to go after Hillary over her Iraq vote, and the conservative media brings it up from time to time. It doesn’t work, and its a bad move so it never gains traction.

That’s the joke.

1 Like

Ah, perhaps a little too dry.

Still though I find it INSANE that they actually try the approach.

After all this time, God continues to answer Voltaire’s prayer.

1 Like

She’s a teflon slimeball. That decent folks would support her, and seek to justify her vote on Iraq, is testament to the extreme power of her vile sleaze. She’s just like Obama, only worse - a shill for the military-industrial scumbag elite, in the guise of a progressive who tries to make all the right noises.

Fuck that shit. If you think things will get any better under Clinton, you’re a dreamer. Smell the coffee and start feeling the Bern.

6 Likes

No, it’s historical fact. We don’t have to guess at the number of people in congress who believed the President, the Vice President, the Secretary of State, and the CIA. We know exactly what those numbers are.

Pig’s arse. What we know, is exactly how many of these douchebags said they believed the obviously bogus lies.

I could smell the stench from across the Pacific, even as they were initially building up a head of steam on their bullshit machine.

1 Like

Amazing. Who knew you had magical mind-reading abilities, that let you declare such things as fact.

No mind-reading necessary; only a functioning bullshit detector. I’m gonna pull you up on your grasp of semantic logic and challenge you to re-read my assertion.

IMO you’re the one claiming to read minds.

2 Likes