"Even Jesus was dating a hooker" — MAGA supporter on Trump's godliness

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/04/even-jesus-was-dating-a-hooker-maga-supporter-on-trumps-godliness.html

3 Likes

Almost nobody has used the term “hooker” since the mid-1970s. :thinking:

Mad 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

12 Likes

Unless you are talking about Rugby.

14 Likes

I believe it’s “Lady of the Evening” now.

(I know this is a gendered term but it’s the old time phrase my mom used)

7 Likes

Or someone who’s into rug hooking.

9 Likes

I had a second cousin once removed whose MIL was part of the yarn-based Hookers of Mariposa County.

16 Likes

I thought it was now an “Only Fans Entrepreneur”

Looking forward to seeing the roadside church service billboards on this guys take.

5 Likes

Probably one of those low-information Christians who was once exposed the 1300-year-old smear campaign suggesting that Mary Magdaline was a prostitute and decided that was all he needed to know.

17 Likes

Of course there is and Jesus is probably a subscriber. /s/h

13 Likes

I’m guessing this is a “Christian” whose notions about Christianity don’t come from the Bible (or even any sort of tradition), but The Da Vinci Code instead (because he did read that one… well, saw the movie). Weird how the people most obsessed about “tradition” and “traditional Christian values,” who want to bring about a Christian theocracy… are thoroughly modern heretics - and don’t even know it.

16 Likes

Even The Da Vinci Code explicitly stated there was nothing in the Bible suggesting Mary Magdalene was a prostitute (at least the book version, I couldn’t be bothered to watch the movie). That rumor started with a poorly cited Easter sermon from Pope Gregory I in the year 591.

10 Likes

I suggest we use “Ladies of Negotiable Affection” because we all need more Terry Pratchett.

27 Likes

Christianity.com has this to say…

" Mary Magdalene, as it seems according to Scripture, was likely not a prostitute. Some people associate her with the prostitute who washes Jesus’ feet ([Luke 7:36-50], but no biblical verse ties the two."

Supposedly it was Pope Gregory who said she was some kind of sinner rescued by Jesus, when ironically she also appears to have been Jesus’s financial supporter along with several other woman who also supported his apostles?

Wasn’t it the gnostics that said Mary Madeleine was his wife? But that was too blasphemous for canonization right?

Christian beliefs are as weird as they are varied.

9 Likes

https://archive.is/u9aAQ

Hell, Luke thought she was possessed by demons. Typical 1rst century man!

1 Like

She was an independent woman who travelled with Jesus as a disciple, and so she had to be slandered and put in her place by the Catholic church. Possibly Pope Gregory conflated her with Mary of Bethany and perhaps with another woman, called a sinner.

Never mind, they’re all saints now, even Mary of Bethany’s sister Martha, who did all the work of entertaining Jesus.

8 Likes

I couldn’t remember if The Da Vinci Code talked about that or not, but I recollect the idea was that Jesus and Mary had a kid, which he’s not asserting. I was just using the book as shorthand for whatever pop-culture ephemera he’s based his religious belief on.

“Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a kid” was an idea that had bubbled up into the pop culture about the time The Da Vinci Code came out, and the idea that Mary Magdalene was a sex worker was an idea that’s been floating around since the early days of Christianity (too many unrelated Marys in the Bible, attempts to discredit the Gnostic Gospels), and this dude built a religious view out of vaguely remembered fragments of things he didn’t understand, or more likely just stuff he heard other people say.

2 Likes

If you consider five and a half centuries after the death of Christ “the early days,” I guess.

4 Likes

I do (especially given how long it took for Christianity as we know it to come about), but it popped up before that, with efforts to discredit the Magdalene Gospels.

3 Likes

We do know that the idea she was an apostle of Jesus has been floating around since the very earliest Christian writings though. Along with other versions that have her as a leader or, as pointed above, wife of Jesus. These are supported by texts and sects.

I’m not aware of early writing claiming she was a sex worker. It may have existed, but we don’t have it.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I have to say this again.

Mary Magdalene was Not a planet.

13 Likes