Events I'd time travel to see

So, I have said that if I ever got a time machine, I wouldn’t use it to go kill hitler, or whatever… I’d use it to go to concerts that I wasn’t around to see (or was too young, it was too far away, etc).

doctor who tardis GIF

What events in the past would you go check out if you had access to a time machine of some kind?

13 Likes

I would go here…

from

12 Likes

If I could time travel as a hologram ( so I couldnt change anything) I’d go see every great concert that was ‘before my time’, starting with Prince’s Purple Rain tour…

18 Likes

Ah time traveling as a hologram would be so much nicer. There’s a lot of things I would try as a hologram that I wouldn’t try with my meatsack body. Like it would be amazing to witness an asteroid impact when dying is not a concern.

17 Likes

Yeah, it’s a really great idea, @Melizmatic! That opens up the door to seeing so many other things from a POV perspective…

The comic strip Subnormality had one about that kind of time travel that was especially poignant…

https://viruscomix.com/page585.html

13 Likes

Backwards, I’d like to see Kate Bush in concert.
I caught most of my favourites - The Jam, The Police, Fleetwood Mac and Siouxsie, but I would have loved to have seen a Kate Bush concert.

Going forwards - I’d like to be on the sidelines when Turnip is jailed and Braverman is deported to Rwanda.

(That suddenly feels a bit of a negative vibe to throw into this thread, my apologies - I’ll make up for it).

5 Likes

Wow, I’d never heard of that strip before. Thank you for the link.

9 Likes

You’re in for a treat! It’s really fantastic… the early ones are pretty short, but some of the later ones are really deep and detailed, and full of interesting insights. And I love his style of illustration!

9 Likes

I mean, Shakespeare. I want to see a Shakespeare play. Probably a comedy, although it would be interesting to see how they handled tragedies as well.

12 Likes

I went to the Dickens museum in London a few years ago. I wouldn’t mind meeting him for a cup of tea and a chinwag.

There’s so much to choose from… terrific thread, @Mindysan33

8 Likes

Amy Poehler Smiling GIF

8 Likes

I want to see an ancient Greek concert or play. We do have some reconstructions of what the music might have sounded like but there are so many things that aren’t recorded, including the real tempo.

I also want to see what a T. rex really looks like. I assume that’s too far back for what the time machine here is intended to be about…but maybe I can still check out some of the ice age creatures?

13 Likes

Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

Especially if we’re going with @Melizmatic’s framing of a hologram type of time travel!

14 Likes

All the great concerts, as others have posted.
There are also several stories in rock history about the “master tapes being left in a cab and lost” so they had to rerecord. Yoink those tapes for sure.

The crucifixion and resurrection, obs.

ETA: And go look at dinosaurs. super obs.

1 Like

I was thinking there are things like some important but confusing battles I hope someone would check out, but I sure as hell don’t want it to be me. The same goes for any tortures or executions. I will stick with the millennia of lost art, thank you. :grimacing:

10 Likes

It’s probably full of time travelers anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, but also, if we’re holo-time traveling, no worries!

8 Likes

Thanks; it serves more than one “practical” purpose.

It not only protects the existing timeline*, it protects me as a time traveler as well; there are certain time periods that are even more hazardous for me as a Black woman than it is right now.

*Yeah, I know… but I wouldn’t want to take the risk of making it even worse.

12 Likes

Thats Good Jada Pinkett Smith GIF by Red Table Talk

A depressing point, but a good one. :sob:

9 Likes

Also, go deep into the future and find out what archeologists and anthropologists make of our current time. Would love to read a thesis about the layer of Funko™ Pops they discovered. (Assumes a lot but it’s a what-if so I get to what-if as I please)

4 Likes