Every U.S. president dragged

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/29/every-u-s-president-dragged.html

6 Likes

Related:

(btw, what’s the deal with Joco’s line about Carter?)

4 Likes

tumblr_pe5gpc7vsO1r3aa23o1_540

35 Likes

Jimmy Carter is a sell out. He was in the committee that oversaw ones of the Venezuelan elections when Chavez was running, and despite plenty of proof of fraud Jimmy Carter signed off on the election saying it was legitimate. I can only respectfully say that he’s a punk ass bitch, respectfully of course.

4 Likes

Amongst other sins, Carter also shared in the responsibility for the Indonesian genocide of East Timor.

5 Likes

Presidents are human beings. No person is perfect, and the position of POTUS, unfortunately, involves a lot of compromise and diplomacy.

Was there ever a perfect POTUS? Can anyone name a POTUS that isn’t guilty of some great sin or misjudgment in someone’s eyes?

I guess I am not really seeing the point here. No one bats 1000. And in comparison to our current POTUS, I am fairly certain nearly EVERY one prior to him might as well be considered tied for best POTUS ever…again comparative to what we have today.

7 Likes

Snarky History 101™

5 Likes

I’m going to assume that “drag” here is a Twitterati word, because it appears as in the manner used here in urbandictionary.com but not in dictionary.com.

I saw the headline and assumed it was portraits of the presidents as if they were wearing drag.

24 Likes

You and me too.

6 Likes

running_trump

10 Likes

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

jdkajkbv.bfv.an.bananb;jkbn;j

3 Likes

Jimmy’s family owned a peanut farm. His presidential campaign pushed his image as a peanut farmer to establish his political outsider image. However, Jimmy Stewart as Jefferson Smith he was not.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I didn’t have time to plump him up to his true running weight.

3 Likes

It just occurred to me that I’d gravely misheard that lyric. :joy: Thanks!

2 Likes

Trump may be the most corrupt, but in body count he is far down the list. He mostly speaks and twitter a lot of shit. I rank Kennedy as the most dangerous for doing his best to start WW III. (The Russians backed down fortunately, but the blockade of Cuba was a clear act of war)

3 Likes

It’s healthy to piss on our own myths, to remind ourselves that no matter how bad things are now, they were never all that good.

As I write this, it occurs to me that I may need to find a better therapist.

9 Likes

They aren’t?

…hm, would that they were, I guess.

Nobody bats 1000, but isn’t it reasonable to expect 250, with an OPS around 675? Maybe WAR* is a better statistic by which to evaluate PsOTUS.

I don’t think anyone is demanding perfection, but I think the thread does show how Native americans, blacks and the working class have constantly been thwarted by US leaders. Seems that those groups are always the ones having to do the compromising.

*in this case, Wars Above Replacement - how many more wars did a president start than a generic president would? A lower WAR would presumably be better…

2 Likes

I am unfamiliar with the use of the word ‘drag’ here. Is this some new trendy young thing thing? Or just another new and dispiriting fork between US and UK English? Can someone elicudate its meaning in this context, please? I’ve only ever dragged things behind me or dragged things through things (like mud - both literally and metaphorically), and I may have inhaled after having a drag on something smokable.

(Sorry, I am in a lawn defence mood today, it seems.)

1 Like

The point is probably entertainment. That’s the only point of reading Boing Boing in the first place, right? Not sure why you’re expecting something extra from a random twitter thread.

1 Like