Everyone needs a spurtle in their kitchen – and this pakka wood set is as sharp as they come

Originally published at: Everyone needs a spurtle in their kitchen – and this pakka wood set is as sharp as they come | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A… spurtle? I don’t think I’m familiar with that pokemon

8 Likes

Spurtle has to be one of the removed from publishing Seuss books.

8 Likes

Everyone needs a spurtle in their kitchen

I’ve often said this to my Dear Wife, and got nasty look for my troubles.

7 Likes

X-All-The-Y_phixr

13 Likes

Now you can make mounds of oatmeal to go with the mounds of cole slaw!

2 Likes

I doubt that my Scottish friends would recognise any of those as a spurtle.

8 Likes

It’s 2021, you don’t have to be ashamed of that kink any more. Go ahead and buy that paddle.

7 Likes

Yes. Though it is actually a broken wooden spoon, sanded down a bit.

I’d also like to be the first to say “Is that a spurtle in your kirtle, or are you just pleased to see me?”

5 Likes

Apparently in the 15th century the name did apply to something more like these, which might now be “Couthie Spurtles”.

2 Likes

I was expecting an article with that kind of title to at least make an honest attempt at explaining what on earth a spurtle is for those of us not privy to this arcane knowledge. Instead, we get “it’s kind of like a spatula, but rounder”. Which … doesn’t explain anything. There are rounded spatulas in the world, after all.

1 Like

A spurtle is a knobbly stick for stirring porridge. It’s nothing like a spatula. If you try to flip a fried egg with a spurtle, you’re going to end up with a big eggy mess.

3 Likes
3 Likes

We have silicone versions of these in our kitchen because my partner is easily swayed by tv infomercials. I’m not convinced of their value over a silicone spoon or spatula. But I do like the word spurtle.

off to the kitchen to go spurtle myself a bowl of oatmeal. lol

1 Like

This is the last kitchen tool we acquired. I was lucky to find one of these sadly discontinued Boschian beasties:

and I absolutely love it. I mostly use it for cut-up and little fingerling potatoes, and broccoli. Everything goes into the boiling water all at once w/o splashing and/or burning me, and everything cooks the same length of time. It’s also much easier to get everything out at once w/o causing pain and suffering.

I often open the cupboard where it lives just so I can smile at it.

Even the pre-release teasers are great:

tho the submarine too quickly disappears.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.